Confluence of conditional rewrite systems
Conditional rewriting has been studied both from the point of view of algebraic data type specifications and as a computational paradigm combining logic and functional programming. An important issue, in either case, is determining whether a rewrite system has the Church-Rosser, or confluence, property. In this paper, we settle negatively the question whether “joinability of critical pairs” is, in general, sufficient for confluence of terminating conditional systems. We review known sufficient conditions for confluence, and also prove two new positive results for systems having critical pairs and arbitrarily big terms in conditions.
KeywordsNormal Form Logic Programming Functional Programming Variable Peak Conditional Equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bergstra-Klop-86]Bergstra, J. A., and Klop, J. W. “Conditional rewrite rules: Confluency and termination”, JCSS 32, pp. 323–362, 1986.Google Scholar
- [Dershowitz-Okada-Sivakumar-87]Dershowitz, N., Okada, M., and Sivakumar, G. “Canonical conditional rewrite systems”, submitted.Google Scholar
- [Dershowitz-Plaisted-87]Dershowitz, N., and Plaisted, D. A. “Equational programming”. In Machine Intelligence 11: The logic and acquisition of knowledge (J. E. Hayes, D. Michie, and J. Richards, eds.), Clarendon Press, London, 1987.Google Scholar
- [Fribourg-85]Fribourg, L. “Slog: A logic programming language interpreter based on clausal superposition and rewriting”. Proceedings of the 1985 Symposium on Logic Programming, Boston, MA (July 1985), pp. 172–184.Google Scholar
- [Goguen-Meseguer-86]Goguen, J. A., and Meseguer, J. “Eqlog: Equality, types and generic modules for logic programming”. In Logic Programming: Functions, relations and equations (D. DeGroot and G. Lindstrom, eds.), Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, pp. 295–363, 1986.Google Scholar
- [Huet-80]Huet, G. “Confluent reductions: Abstract properties and applications to term rewriting systems”, J. ACM 27, pp. 797–821.Google Scholar
- [Jouannaud-Waldmann-86]Jouannaud, J.-P., and Waldmann, B. “Reductive conditional term rewriting systems”. Proceedings of the Third IFIP Working Conference on Formal Description of Programming Concepts, Ebberup, Denmark.Google Scholar
- [Kaplan-87]Kaplan, S. “Simplifying conditional term rewriting systems: Unification, termination and confluence”, Journal of Symbolic Computation, to appear.Google Scholar
- [Zhang-Rémy-85]Zhang, H., and Rémy, J. L. “Contextual rewriting”. Proceedings First International Conference on Rewriting Techniques and Applications, Dijon, France (May 1985), pp. 46–62 (available as Vol. 202, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, Berlin [September 1985]).Google Scholar