Compiling conditional rewriting systems
Among the various theoretical and practical problems related to compilation of conditional rewriting systems, we will point out in this paper the problem of compiling pattern matching by an IF THEN ELSE decision tree. For this purpose, we develop a general formal framework which allows to solve a wide class of problems dealing with choices defined by rules. Thus, we get rid of the specific term pattern matching problem. We also develop other topics, in order to produce functional code for normalization, using a “by value” strategy.
KeywordsDecision Tree Normal Form Pattern Match Target Language Conditional Term
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Assp86]M.Bidoit, F.Capy, C.Choppy, N.Choquet, C.Gresse, S.Kaplan, F.Schlienger, F.Voisin: ASSPRO: un environement de programmation interactif et intégré, to appear in T.S.I.Google Scholar
- [Aug85]L. Augustsson. Compiling pattern matching. In Functional Programming Languages and Computer Architecture, Nancy, LNCS 201, Springer-Verlag, September 1985Google Scholar
- [Car84]L.Cardelli. Compiling a functional language. In Proc. ACM Conf. Lisp and functional programming, Austin, Texas, August 1984.Google Scholar
- [Com88]H. Comon. Unification et disunification. Théorie et applications. Thèse d'université.Google Scholar
- [FGJM85]K. Futatsugi, J.A. Goguen, J.P. Jouannaud, J. Meseguer. Principles of OBJ2. In proc. ACM Symp. Principles of programming languages, 1985.Google Scholar
- [DerJou88]N. Dershowitz, J.P. Jouannaud. Term rewriting systems, Hand book of theoretical computer science. To appear.Google Scholar
- [Kap87]S. Kaplan. A compiler for conditional term rewriting systems. In proc. Rewriting Techniques and applications 87, Bordeaux, May 1987.Google Scholar
- [Plai85]D. Plaisted. Semantic confluence tests and completion methods. Information and Control 65, 1985.Google Scholar
- [Sch87]Ph. Schnoebelen. The compilation of pattern-matching in functional languages. To appearGoogle Scholar