Characterization of turbulent premixed flame structure for mathematical modeling of combustion
Measurements of wrinkle size are made extensively in laminar and turbulent premixed flames to find out the origin of flame wrinkling in turbulent premixed flames, and conclusions are summarized as follows:
Two types of instability are observed on the laminar flame front stabilized by a flame holder. These instabilities are caused by the strong shearing stress developed by the high velocity gradient between the unburned mixture and burned gas.
The laminar flame instability plays an predominant role in flame wrinkling and the unburned mixture turbulence triggers the two types of laminar flame instability in the turbulent premixed flames.
It is found qualitatively that the mixture turbulence broadens the wrinkle size distributions.
KeywordsEquivalence Ratio Turbulent Combustion Laminar Flame Damkohler Number Turbulent Premix Flame
- 1.Yoshida, A. and Tsuji, H.:Seventeenth Symposium (International) on Combustion (The Combustion Institute, 1978), pp.945–956.Google Scholar
- 2.Yoshida, A. and Gunther, R.:Combust. Flame 38, 249–258 (1980).Google Scholar
- 3.Yoshida, A.:Eighteenth Symposium (International) on Combustion (The Combustion Institute, 1980), pp.931–939.Google Scholar
- 4.Williams, F. A.:Combustion Theory, 2nd ed.(The Benjamin/Cummings, 1985).Google Scholar
- 5.Bray, K. N. C.:'Turbulent Flows with Premixed Reactants,’ Turbulent Reacting Flows, Topics in Applied Physics, Vol. 44, ed. by P. A. Libby and F. A. Williams (Springer, 1980). 46, 601–626 (1940).Google Scholar
- 6.Damkohler, G.:Z. Elektrochem. 46, 601–626 (1940).Google Scholar
- 7.Yoshida, A. and Tsuji, H.:Nineteenth Symposium (International) on Combustion (The Combustion Institute, 1982), pp.403–411.Google Scholar
- 8.Yoshida, A. and Tsuji, H.:Twentieth Symposium (International) on Combustion (The Combustion institute, 1984), pp.445–451.Google Scholar
- 9.Yoshida, A. and Nakamura, S:Combust. Sci. Tech., submitted (1986).Google Scholar
- 10.Yoshida, A.:Twenty-first Symposium (International) on Combustion (The Combustion Institute, 1986), in press.Google Scholar