First steps towards a blackboard controlled system for matching image and model in the presence of noise and distortion
In this paper we discuss some of the problems of computer interpretation of medical ultrasound images and the use of an expert system to control the image processing and model matching. We describe an expert system shell developed for this task and detail our preliminary application to an ultrasound scan. We model the anatomical and geometric structures involved as a network of frames. This and the model-matching control strategy we have employed are discussed. An example of how the strategy operates is given with reference to example images and attention is drawn to the feedback aspects of the control mechanism. Finally, possible improvements and enhancements to the work are considered.
KeywordsModel Match Control Knowledge Composite Frame Medical Ultrasound Image Expert System Shell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baldock R.A., J. Ireland and S.J. Towers, “SBS User Guide”, MRC CAPCU internal report (1987a)Google Scholar
- Baldock R.A., J. Ireland and S.J. Towers, “A Pilot Study of Knowledge-Based Control for Image Processing”, MRC CAPCU internal report (1987b)Google Scholar
- Ballard D.H. and C.M. Brown, “Computer Vision” (Prentice-Hall, New Jersey; 1982)Google Scholar
- Clark P., “Rule-Based Systems in Image Processing”, Turning Institute report (1987) unpublished.Google Scholar
- Fisher R.B. and M.J.L. Orr, “Solving Geometric Constraints in a Parallel Network”, Proc. of 3rd Alvey Vision Conf., Cambridge (1987) 87–95Google Scholar
- Minsky M., “The Psychology of Computer Vision” ed P. Winston (McGraw Hill, NY; 1975)Google Scholar
- Nii H.P. and E.A. Fiegenbaum, “Rule-Based Understanding of Signals in Pattern Directed Inference Systems” (Academic Press; 1978)Google Scholar
- Rake S.T. and L.D.R. Smith, “The Interpretation of X-ray Angiograms using a Blackboard Control Architecture”, Proceedings of the Symposium on Computer Assisted Radiology (Springer-Verlag, Berlin; 1987) to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- Towers S.J., “Frames as Data Structures for SBS”, MRC CAPCU internal report (1987)Google Scholar