Median-based methods of corner detection
This paper examines the ‘local ordered grey-level’ corner detector and compares it with detectors based on second order variations of the intensity function. It finds that the method is essentially identical to the Kitchen and Rosenfeld (KR) detector for slowly varying intensity functions, though it is slower and more susceptible to noise. In many applications these disadvantages can be eliminated by thresholding the local intensity gradient.
KeywordsMedian Filter Intensity Function Vision Graph Corner Detector Horizontal Curvature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. C. Bolles and R. A. Cain "Recognising and locating partially visible objects: the local-feature-focus method", Int. J. Robotics Res., 1, no. 3, pp. 57–82 (1982)Google Scholar
- 2.E. R. Davies "A comparison of methods for the rapid location of products and their features and defects", pp. 111–120 in P. A. McKeown (ed.), Proc. 7th Int. Conf. on Automated Inspection and Product Control, Birmingham (26–28 March 1985)Google Scholar
- 3.P. R. Beaudet "Rotationally invariant image operators", Proc. 4th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recogn., Kyoto, pp. 579–583 (1978)Google Scholar
- 4.J. Bretschi "Automated Inspection Systems for Industry", IFS Publications Ltd, UK, Ch. 10 (1981)Google Scholar
- 5.L. Dreschler and H.-H. Nagel "Volumetric model and 3D-trajectory of a moving car derived from monocular TV-frame sequences of a street scene", Proc. IJCAI, pp. 692–697 (1981)Google Scholar
- 7.O. A. Zuniga and R. Haralick "Corner detection using the facet model", Proc. IEEE CVPR Conf., pp. 30–37 (1983)Google Scholar
- 9.E. R. Davies "Corner detection using the generalised Hough transform", Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. on Image Processing and its Applications (24–26 June 1986), IEEE Conf. Publication no. 265, pp. 175–179 (1986)Google Scholar
- 10.H.-H. Nagel "Displacement vectors derived from second-order intensity variations in image sequences", Comput. Vision Graph. Image Process., 21, pp. 85–117 (1983)Google Scholar
- 11.M. A. Shah and R. Jain "Detecting time-varying corners", Comput. Vision Graph. Image Process., 28, pp. 345–355 (1984)Google Scholar