A fast binary template matching algorithm for document image data compression
In the coding of digital facsimile documents, a number of non-information-preserving codes have been proposed which make use of the repetition of binary patterns corresponding to printed or typewritten text characters. The success of such a scheme depends on the accuracy and speed of the template-matching algoritnm which decides whether one pattern may be substituted for another without loss of context or legibility. This paper proposes a template-matching algorithm whose accuracy compares favourably with that of other reported algorithms, and whose execution time is significantly faster in computer simulations. The proposed algorithm is particularly well suited to realisation in parallel hardware.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BODSON, D., DEUTERMANN, A.R., URBAN, S.J. and CLARKE, C.E., ‘Measurement of data compression in advanced Group-4 facsimile systems', Proc. IEEE, 1985, Vol.73, No.4, pp.731–739.Google Scholar
- ASCHER, R.N. and NAGY, G.: ‘A means for achieving a high degree of compaction on sign-digitized text', IEEE Trans. Comout., 1974, Vol.C-23, pp.1174–1179.Google Scholar
- PRATT W.K., CAPITANT, P.J., CHEN, W., HAMILTON, E.R. and WALLIS, R.H.: ‘Combined symbol matching facsimile data compression system', Proc. IEEE, 1980, Vol.68, pp.786–796.Google Scholar
- JOHNSEN, O., SEGEN, J. and CASH, G. L.: ‘Coding of two-level pictures by pattern-matching and substitution', Bell System Tech. J., 1983, Vol.62, pp.2513–2547.Google Scholar
- HOLT, M.J.J. and XYDEAS, C.S.: ‘Recent developments in image data compression for digital facsimile', ICL Technical Journal, May 1986, Vol.5, No.1, pp.123–146.Google Scholar
- HOLT, M.J.J.: 'symbol pattern matching', UK Patent Application No.8525509, filed 16 Oct. 1985.Google Scholar
- NEWMAN, W.M. and SPROULL, R.F.: Principles of Interactive Computer Graphics, 2nd Edn., McGraw-Hill, Tokyo, 1981, Chapter 18.Google Scholar
- REDDAWAY, S.F.: ‘DAP and its application to image processing', Image Processing Symposium, RSRE Malvern, 1983, Paper 6.3.Google Scholar
- HOLT, M.J.J. and XYDEAS, C.S.: ‘An efficient hybrid code for document image data compression', in preparation.Google Scholar