Grey scale N tuple processing
This paper describes a generalisation of the binary N tuple technique originally described by Bledsoe and Browning (1). The binary N tuple technique has commonly been used for the classification (2) and pre-processing (3) of binary images. The extension to the method described here allows grey level images of objects to be classified using the N tuple method without first having to convert the image to an intermediate binary representation. The paper illustrates the methods use in image preprocessing.
KeywordsGrey Level Grey Scale Grey Scale Image Grey Level Image Scene Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bledsoe, W. W., I, Browning, "Pattern Recognition and Reading by Machine." Proc. Eastern Joint Computer Conf., Boston, Mass., pp. 225–232, 1959.Google Scholar
- 2.Aleksander, I., W. V. Thomas., P. A. Bowden, "WISARD, a Radical Step Forward in Image Recognition", Sensor Review, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp 120–124.Google Scholar
- 3.Wilson, M. D., "Adaptive Windows: Edges, Stereopsis and Stripes", Pattern Recognition Letters, No. 4, 1986, pp351–358.Google Scholar
- 4.Ullamnn, J. R.,, "Experiments with the N Tuple Method of Pattern Recognition", Trans. IEEE Computers C-18 (12), pp 1135–1137, 1969.Google Scholar
- 5.Austin, J., "The Design and Application of Associative Memories for Scene Analysis", PhD, Department of Electrical Engineering, Brunel University, August 1986.Google Scholar
- 6.Austin, J., "ADAM: A Distributed Associative Memory for Scene Analysis", Proc. First annual conference on Neural networks, San Diego, CA, USA, 1987.Google Scholar
- 7.Aleksander, I., Stonham, T. J., "Guide to Pattern Recognition Using Random-access Memories", Computers and Digital Techniques, Feb. 1979, Vol. 2, No. 1. pp29–40.Google Scholar
- 8.Minsky, M., Papert S,, "Perceptrons", MIT Press, 1969.Google Scholar
- 9.Stonham, T. J., "Practical Pattern Recognition", in "Advanced Digital Information Systems", chapter 6, Eds. Aleksander I. et al., Prentice-Hall int., 1985.Google Scholar
- 10.Austin, J. "Image Pre-processing With a Generalised Grey Scale N Tuple Operator", Dept. Computer Science internal report, University of York, 1987.Google Scholar