Major research activities in parallel processing in Japan
In this paper we presented a short survey of the current status in Japan of research and development of parallel processors for scientific and engineering applications. We would like to add that although there are many other interesting machines we did not mention, we omitted them, not because they are less interesting but because we lack sufficient information about them. Finally we must say that although the quantity of research into AI in Japan and the world is enormous, we also did not report them here as they have been adequently reported elsewhere.
KeywordsMemory Unit Parallel Processor Arithmetic Unit Instruction Level Parallelism Block Division
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Takahashi, Y.: "Currently developed parallel computers", Journal of Information Processing Society of Japan, Vol.28, No.1, pp.10–18 (Jan. 1987) (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Yuba, T. and Kashiwagi, H.: "The Japanese national project for new generation supercomputing systems", Parallel Computing, Vol.4, No.1, pp.1–16 (Feb. 1987).Google Scholar
- Terada,H., et al.: "A data-driven processor Q-p", IECE Data flow workshop, pp.75–78 (May 1986) (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- NEC Corp.: "FORTRAN77, 77/SX programing manual", (June 1985) (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Fujitsu Ltd.: "FACOM VP system programing manual", (Aug. 1984) (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Hitachi Ltd.: "Optimization FORTRAN77, HAP FORTRAN77 users manual", (Dec. 1984) (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Kasahara, H. and Narita, S.: "Practical multiprocessor scheduling algorithms for efficient parallel processing", IEEE Trans. on Computer, Vol.C-33, No.11, pp.1023–1029 (Nov. 1984).Google Scholar
- Hoshino, T.: "An invitation to the world of PAX", COMPUTER, Vol.19, No.5, pp.68–79 (May 1986).Google Scholar
- Amano,H., Boku,T., Kudoh,T. and Aiso,H.: "(SM)2-II: A new version of the Sparse Matrix Solving Machine", Proc. of the 12th Int. Symp. on Comp. Arch., pp. 100–107 (June 1985).Google Scholar
- Takahashi, Y., et al.: "Efficiency of parallel computation on binary-tree machine Coral '83", Journal of Information Processing, Vol.8, No.4 (Mar. 1985).Google Scholar
- Onaga,K. and Takechi,T.: "On design of rotary array communication and wavefront-driven algorithms for solving large-scale band-limited matrix equations", Proc. of the 13th Int. Symp. on Comp. Arch., pp.308–315 (June 1986).Google Scholar
- Kaneda, Y., et al.: "BC processor array and highly parallel matrix computation", Trans. of Information Processing Society of Japan, Vol.24, No.2, pp.175–181 (Mar. 1983) (in Japanese).Google Scholar