A group explicit solution scheme for non-linear parabolic PDES on MIMD parallel systems
The explicit methods although very suitable for parallel processing always deny us reasonable accuracy and some stability; on the other hand, the implicit schemes offer stability, but the exploitation of these methods for parallel processing may be difficult and possibly inefficient.
The class of Group Explicit (GE) methods, introduced herein, is the sort of semi-explicit schemes which enable us with a trade-off between stability and the possibility of them being suitable for implementation of parallel systems. Furthermore, it is possible to express the semi-explicit schemes in terms of pure explicit formulae to enable their efficient implementation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1. [ABDU83]Abdullah, A.R.B., "The Study of Some Numerical Methods for Solving Parabolic Partial Differential Equations", Ph.D. Thesis, L.U.T., 1983.Google Scholar
- 2. [AMES65]Ames, W.F., "Non-Linear Partial Differential Equations in Engineering", Academic Press, Inc., London, 1965, U.K.Google Scholar
- 3. [BEKA85]Bekakos, M.P. and Evans, D.J., "The Numerical Solution of Non-Linear Parabolic Equations. on MIMD Parallel Computers", 1st European Workshop, on Parallel Processing Techniques for Simulation, Oct. 28–29, 1985, Manchester, U.K.Google Scholar
- 4. [BEKA86]Bekakos, M.P., "A Study of Algorithms for Parallel Computers and VLSI Systolic Processor Arrays", Ph.D. Thesis, L.U.T., 1986.Google Scholar
- 5. [BEKA86a]Bekakos, M.P., and Evans, D.J., "Group Explicit Complete Method vs. Standard Explicit Method on MIMD Parallel Systems", CS-300, L.U.T., August, 1986.Google Scholar
- 6. [BEKA87]Bekakos, M.P., and Evans, D.J., "An Alternative Solution Method for Non-Linear Parabolic Equations on MIMD Parallel Computers", Intern. J.Comp.Maths., Vol. 23, No. 1, 1987.Google Scholar
- 7. [BEKA87a]Bekakos, M.P. and Evans, D.J., "A Model for the Deterministic Performance Analysis of MIMD Parallel Computer Systems", to appear.Google Scholar
- 8. [BURG48]Burgers, J.M., Adv.Appl.Mech., Vol. 1, 1948, pp.171.Google Scholar
- 9. [COLE51]Cole, J.D., et al, "On Quasi-Linear Parabolic Equations Occurring in Aerodynamics", A.Appl.Maths., Vol. 9, 1951, pp.225–236.Google Scholar
- 10. [EVAN83]Evans, D.J., and Abdullah, A.R.B., "The Group Explicit Method for the Solution of Burgers' Equation", CS-179, L.U.T., March, 1983.Google Scholar
- 11. [LARK64]Larkin, B.K., "Some Stable Explicit Difference Approximations to the Diffusion Equation", Math.Comp., Vol. 18, 1964, pp.196–202.Google Scholar
- 12. [MADS76]Madsen, N.K., and Sincovec, R.F., "General Software for Partial Differential Equations", in Numerical Methods for Differential Systems, eds. Lapidus, L., and Schiesser, W.E., Academic Press, 1976, pp.229–242.Google Scholar