A supercomputing performance evaluation plan
Evaluating the performance of parallel processors and supercomputers is difficult because so many factors contribute to speed. The architecture, compiler, and algorithms used are all important, as are their interactions. In the past, it has been common practice to attempt to characterize each machine's performance by just one number. The complexity of the situation indicates that more work is needed to discover how best to characterize machines. An approach for the future is sketched in this paper.
KeywordsTurnaround Time Parallel Processor Application Code Peak Speed Benchmark Program
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Amda67]G. Amdahl. The Validity of the Single Processor Approach to Achieving Large Scale Computing Capabilities. AFIPS Proc. SJCC, Vol. 30, 1967.Google Scholar
- [FHHJ83]H. Fromm, U. Hercksen, U. Herzog, K-H. John, R. Klar, and W. Kleinoder. Experiences with Performance Measurement and Modeling of a Processor Array. IEEE Trans. on Computers, Vol. C-32, No. 1, January, 1983.Google Scholar
- [GJMY87]K. Gallivan, W. Jalby, A. Malony, and P-C. Yew. Performance Analysis on the Cedar System. Center for Supercomputing Research and Development, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Report No. 680, August 10, 1987, To appear as a chapter in the book Performance Evaluation of Supercomputers, edited by Dr. J.L. martin, to be published by North-Holland in January, 1988.Google Scholar
- [KKLW84]David J. Kuck, Robert H. Kuhn, Bruce Leasure and Michael Wolfe, The Structure of an Advanced Retargetable Vectorizer. The Proceedings of COMPSAC '80, 1980, Reproduced in Supercomputers: Design and Applications, Kai Hwang, ed., IEEE Computer Society Press, 1986.Google Scholar
- [Kuck81]D.J. Kuck, Automatic Program Restructuring for High-Speed Computation. Proc of CONPAR 81, Conf. on Analysing Problem-Classes and Programming for Parallel Computing, pp. 66–84, June, 1981.Google Scholar
- [Kuck82]David J. Kuck. High-Speed Machines and Their Compilers. In: Parallel Processing Systems, D. J. Evans, ed. Cambridge University Press, pp. 193–214, 1982.Google Scholar
- [McMa86]Frank H. McMahon, The Livermore Fortran Kernels: A Computer Test of the Numerical Performance Range. Report UCRL — 537415, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, 1986.Google Scholar
- [NaRC86]Anon. An Agenda for Improved Evaluation of Supercomputer Performance, National Research Council Report, Washington, D.C., 1986.Google Scholar
- [SeSS83]Z. Segall, A. Singh, R. Snodgrass, A. Jones and D. Siewiorek. An Integrated Instrumentation Environment for Multiprocessors. IEEE Trans. on Computers, Vol. C-32, No. 1, January, 1983.Google Scholar