Graph grammars and diagram editing
This paper reports on an ongoing work which started in 1981 and is aiming at developing a general, computer-aided method which would help to considerably reduce the time necessary to develop a syntax-directed editor for any given diagram technique.
The main idea behind the approach is to represent diagrams by (formal) graphs whose nodes are enriched with attributes. Then, any manipulation of a diagram (typically the insertion of an arrow, a box, text, coloring, etc.) can be expressed in terms of the manipulation of its underlying attributed representation graph. The formal description of the manipulation is done by programmed attributed graph grammars.
Key wordsgraph grammars syntax-directed editor diagram technique
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- /1/.Batini, C. & Nardelli, E. & Talamo, M. & Tamassia, R.: "A Graph Theoretic Approach to Aesthetic Layout of Information Systems Diagrams, in Proc. WG'84 ‘Graphtheoretic Concepts in Computer Science', Pape, U. (ed.), Trauner Verlag, Linz, 1984.Google Scholar
- /2/.Göttler, H.: "Semantical Description by Two-Level Graph-Grammars for Quasihierarchical Graphs", in Proc. WG78 ‘Graphs, Data Structures and Algorithms', Nagl, M. & Schneider, H.J. (eds.), Series ‘Applied Computer Science' Nr. 13, Hanser Verlag, Munich, 1979.Google Scholar
- /3/.Göttler, H.: "Attributed Graph Grammars for Graphics", Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 153, Springer, New York, 1983.Google Scholar
- /4/.Göttler, H.: "Implementation of Attributed Graph Grammars", in Proc. WG'84 ‘Graphtheoretic Concepts in Computer Science', Pape, U. (ed.), Trauner Verlag, Linz, 1984.Google Scholar
- /5/.Göttler, H.: "Graphgrammatiken in der Softwaretechnik", Submitted Habilitationsschrift, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität, Erlangen, 1987.Google Scholar
- /6/.Jackson, M.A.: "Principles of Program Design", Academic Press, London, 1975Google Scholar
- /7/.Knuth, D.: "Semantics of Context-Free Languages", Math. Syst. Theory 2 (1968).Google Scholar
- /8/.Nagl, M.: "Graph technology applied to a software development environment", in this volume.Google Scholar
- /9/.Nassi, J. & Shneiderman, B.: "Flowchart Techniques for Structured Programming", ACM-Sigplan Notices, 8, 1973.Google Scholar
- /10/.Ross, D.T. "Structured Analysis (SA): A Language for Communicating Ideas", IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. SE-3, No. 1 (Jan.) 1977.Google Scholar
- /11/.Stay, J.F.: "HIPO and Integrated Program Design", IBM-Systems Journal Nr. 15, 1976.Google Scholar
- /12/.Wirth, N.: "Algorithms + Data_Structures = Programs", Prentice Hall, 'series in Automatic Computation', Englewood Cliffs N.J., 1976.Google Scholar