Role of the magnetic quadrupole radiation in L3-subshell alignment studies
In the L3-subshell alignment studies it is generally assumed that only El transition occures in the observed radiations. This assumption, however, is questionable in the case of heavy elements. In this paper formulas for the a values of mixed radiations are given. We present also indications of the importance of M2 admixture in El, and propose an angular distribution measurement for direct experimental determination of the M2/El mixing ratios. We have found that three times larger mixing ratios than the theoretical ones (given by Scofield) are necessary to get agreement between the results of some earlier alignment measurements and the theoretical predictions. We have found similar discrepancy in the experimentally obtained Ls(L3-M3) line intensity, which we determined relative to the Ll(L3-Ml) line intensity for platinum.
KeywordsAngular Distribution Line Intensity Anisotropy Parameter Perturbed Angular Correlation Magnetic Quantum Number
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Biedenharn L C and Rose M E 1953 Rev. Mod. Phys. 25 729Google Scholar
- Catz A L 1970 Phys. Rev. A2 634Google Scholar
- Jitschin W, Kleinpoppen H, Hippler R and Lutz H O 1979 J. Phys. B.: At. Mol. Phys. 12 4077Google Scholar
- Jitschin W, Hippler R, Shanker R, Kleinpoppen H, Schuch R and Lutz H O 1983, J. Phys. B.: At. Mol. Phys. 16 1417Google Scholar
- Pálinkás J, Sarkadi L and Schlenk B 1980 J. Phys. B.: At. Mol. Phys. 13 3829Google Scholar
- Papp T, Kocbach L and Hansteen J M 1987 to be published in J. Phys. B.: At. Mol. Phys.Google Scholar
- Rose H J and Brink D M 1967 Rev. Mod. Phys. 39 306Google Scholar
- Rösel F, Trautmann D and Baur G 1982 Z. Phys. A304 75Google Scholar
- Sarkadi L 1986 J. Phys. B.: At. Mol. Phys. 19 L755Google Scholar
- Scofield J H 1969 Phys. Rev. 179 9Google Scholar
- Scofield J H 1974 Phys. Rev. A10 1507Google Scholar
- Steffen R M and Frauenfelder H 1963, in: Perturbed Angular correlations, ed. Karlsson et al., North-Holland, Amsterdam 1964Google Scholar