Chromospheric variability mechanisms affecting pre-main sequence stars
Variability studies of pre-main sequence (PMS) stars, which combine simultaneous data from different spectral regions, provide a powerful tool for investigating both the inhomogeneous outer atmospheric structure of these stars and the mechanisms causing their observed variability. The mechanisms already identified include variations in active region surface coverage, changes in circumstellar extinction, heating due to infalling material, stellar wind variability and flaring.
KeywordsTauri Star Optical Brightness Stellar Flare Emission Line Profile Circumstellar Extinction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brown, A., Ferraz, M.C. de M. and Jordan, C. 1984, Mon. Not R. astr. Soc., 207, 831.Google Scholar
- Brown, A., Linsky, J.L., Drake, S.A., and Herbst, W.1986a, in New Insights in Astrophysics — 8 Years of UV Astronomy with IUE, ESA-SP 263, p. 177.Google Scholar
- Brown, A., Tjin A Djie, H.R.E., and The, P.S.1986, in New Insights in Astrophysics — 8 Years of UV Astronomy with IUE, ESA-SP 263, p. 173.Google Scholar
- Evans, A., Bode, M.F., Whittet, D.C.B., Davies, J.K., Kilkenny, D., and Baines, D.W.T. 1982, Mon. Not. R. astr. Soc., 199, 37p.Google Scholar
- Herbst, W. 1986, Publ. Ast. Soc. Pacific, 98, 1088.Google Scholar
- Imhoff, C.L. and Appenzeller, I. 1987, in Exploring the Universe with IUE, Eds. Y. Kondo et al. (D. Reidel, Dordrecht), p. 295.Google Scholar
- Montmerle, T., Koch-Miramond, L., Falgarone, E., and Grindlay, J.E. 1983, Astrophys. J., 269, 182.Google Scholar
- Simon, T., Vrba, F.J., and Herbst, W. 1987, Bull. A.A.S., 19, 741.Google Scholar
- Walter, F.M. and Kuhi, L.V. 1984, Astrophys. J., 284, 194.Google Scholar