Parallel algorithms for approximate edge colouring of simple graphs
Two parallel algorithms for edge-colouring simple graphs are presented. One takes O(mlogn) time using a polynomial number of processors on an SIMD parallel computer which allows read conflicts but no write conflicts. The second algorithm uses the first in a divide-and-conquer setting and takes O(nlog2n) time at the cost of a factor of n extra processors on the same model of computation. How to obtain improved time bounds from these algorithms for some special types of graph is also discussed.
Either algorithm uses no more than φe+1 colours where φe is the edge-chromatic number of the graph being coloured. Moreover the expected performance of each of the algorithms is optimal.
Keywordsedge-colouring graphs algorithm: approximation probabilistic parallel SIMD computer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A.M. Frieze, "Parallel Algorithms for Finding Hamiltonian Cycles in Random Graphs", Manuscript, Department of Computer Science, Queen Mary College (March 1986).Google Scholar
- M.R. Garey and D.S. Johnson, "Computer and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-completeness", Freeman (1979).Google Scholar
- A.M. Gibbons, "Algorithmic Graph Theory", Cambridge University Press (1985).Google Scholar
- A.M. Gibbons and O.A. Ogunyode, "A Polynomial-Time Algorithm to Edge-Colour Almost All Graphs Using φe Colours", Theory of Computation, Report No. 68, (September 1984).Google Scholar
- F.T. Leighton, "A graph coloring algorithm for large scheduling problems", J. Res. Natn. Bur. Stand. 84, 489–506 (1979).Google Scholar
- G. Lev, N. Pippenger and L.G. Valliant, "A Fast Parallel Algorithm for Routing in Permutation Networks", IEEE Trans. Comput., C-30, 93–110 (1981).Google Scholar
- O.A. Ogunyode, "Approximation and Parallel Algorithms for Some NP-Hard Problems", Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of Warwick (August 1986).Google Scholar
- M.J. Quinn and N. Deo, "A Parallel Approximate Algorithm for the Euclidean Traveling Salesman Problem", Report CS-83-105, Computer Science Department, Washington State University, Pullman (1983).Google Scholar
- V.G. Vizing, "On an estimate of the chromatic class of p-graph", Diskret. Analiz. 3, 25–30 (1964).Google Scholar