Submodule construction as equation solving in CCS
A method for solving CCS equations of type (A|X)\L≈B, where X is unknown, is presented. The method is useful in a top-down design methodology: if a system (B) and some of its submodules (A) are specified, solving such an equation amounts to constructing the missing submodules. The method works by successively transforming equations into simpler equations, in parallel with generation of a solution. It has been implemented as a semi-automatic program, which has been applied to the generation of receivers of two alternating-bit protocols.
KeywordsEquivalence Transformation Parallel Composition Choice Point Preservation Property Congruence Property
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [APP86]Foto Afrati, Christos Papadimitriou, and George Papageorgiou. The synthesis of communication protocols. In Proceedings of the fifth ACM SIGACT-SIGOPS Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, pages 263–271, 1986.Google Scholar
- [BG86]Gregor von Bochmann and Reinhard Gotzhein. Deriving protocol specifications from service specifications. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOM Symposium, pages 148–156, 1986.Google Scholar
- [GY84]Mohamed Gouda and Yao-Tin Yu. Synthesis of communicating finite-state machines with guaranteed progress. IEEE Transactions on Communications, COM-32(7):779–788, 1984.Google Scholar
- [JMW86]Bengt Jonsson, Zohar Manna, and Richard Waldinger. Towards deductive synthesis of dataflow networks. In Proceedings of Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, pages 26–37, 1986.Google Scholar
- [MB83]Philip Merlin and Gregor von Bochmann. On the construction of submodule specifications and communication protocols. ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems, 5(1):1–25, 1983.Google Scholar
- [Mil80]Robin Milner. A Calculus of Communicating Systems. Volume 92 of Lecture Notes of Computer Science, Springer Verlag, 1980.Google Scholar
- [MW80]Zohar Manna and Richard Waldinger. A deductive approach to program synthesis. ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems, 2(1), 1980.Google Scholar
- [Shi86a]M W Shields. Extending the Interface Equation. Technical Report SE/079/3, Electronic Engineering Laboratories, University of Kent at Canterbury, August 1986.Google Scholar
- [Shi86b]M W Shields. Solving the Interface Equation. Technical Report SE/079/2, Electronic Engineering Laboratories, University of Kent at Canterbury, July 1986.Google Scholar