Knowledge base organization in expert systems
This paper describes a method for performing knowledge base (re)organization in Expert Systems oriented to classification, interpretation and diagnosis problems. The methodology can be applied either to the input descriptions of a set of samples, giving thus a preliminary characterization of groups of samples, or to a set of intermediate level descriptions, supplied by a human expert or previously automatically learned. An example of application is also given.
KeywordsExpert System Production Rule Human Expert Knowledge Organization Certainty Factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- -F. Bergadano, A. Giordana and L. Saitta: "Approximate Reasoning in Knowledge Acquisition", in "Fuzzy Logic in Knowledge Engineering", C.Negoita and H.Prade (Ed.s), (1985), 127–148.Google Scholar
- -Y. Cheng and K.S. Fu: "Conceptual Clustering in Knowledge Organization", IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, PAMI-7, 592–598, (1985).Google Scholar
- -L.M. Fu and B. Buchanan: "Learning Intermediate Concepts in constructing a Hierarchical Knowledge Base", Proc. IJCAI-85 (Los Angeles, CA, 1985), pag. 659–666.Google Scholar
- -F. Hayes-Roth and J. McDermott: "An Interference Matching Technique for Inducing Abstractions", Comm. ACM, 21, 401–411, (1978).Google Scholar
- -T. Mitchell: "Generalization as Search", Artificial Intelligence, 18, 203–226, (1982).Google Scholar
- -R.S. Michalski: "Pattern Recognition as Rule-Guided Inductive Inference", IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, PAMI-2, 349–361, (1980).Google Scholar
- -A. Heeffer: "Validating Concepts from Automated Acquisition Systems", Proc. IJCAI-85 (Los Angeles, CA, 1985), pag. 613–615.Google Scholar
- -B. Arbab and D. Michie: "Generating Rules from Examples", Proc. IJCAI-85 (Los Angeles, CA, 1985) pag. 631–633.Google Scholar
- -B.G. Buchanan and T. Mitchell: "Model-directed Learning of Production Rules", in ‘Pattern-Directed Inference Systems', D.A. Waterman and F. Hayes-Roth (Ed.s), Academic Press, (1978), pag. 297–312.Google Scholar
- -S.A. Vere: "Multilevel Counterfactuals for Generalizations of Relational Concepts and Productions", Artificial Intelligence, 14, 139–164, (1980).Google Scholar