Efficient deduction in fuzzy logic
the possibility distributions involved in facts and rules are continuous (the referential is the real line), normalized, unimodal and expressed by parametrized functions;
only single antecedent rules are considered;
the rules are consistent and it is assumed that their antecedents and consequents do not overlap too much;
the deduction process is based on the ‘min’ conjunction and Gödel implication operators.
The ultimate goal of this work is to render the generalized modus ponens technique usable in practical deduction systems.
KeywordsFuzzy Logic Approximation Technique Possibility Distribution Approximate Reasoning Widening Effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.DUBOIS, D., PRADE, H. (1982) Towards the analysis and the synthesis of fuzzy mappings. In Fuzzy Set and Possibility Theory, (R. Yager, ed.), Pergamon Press, 316–326.Google Scholar
- 2.DUBOIS, D., PRADE, H. (1984) Fuzzy logics and the generalized modus ponens revisited. Cybernetics & Systems, 15, no3–4, 293–331.Google Scholar
- 3.DUBOIS, D., PRADE, H. (with the collabaration of H. Farreny, R. Martin-Clouaire, C. Testemale) (1985) Théorie des Possibilités, Application à la Représentation des Connaissances en Informatique. Masson, Paris. English updated version to be published by Plenum Press, New York, 1987.Google Scholar
- 4.DUBOIS, D., PRADE, H. (1985) The generalized modus ponens under sup-min composition. A theoretical study. In Approximate Reasoning in Expert Systems, (M.M. Gupta, A. Kandel, W. Bandler, J.B. Kiszka, eds.), North-Holland, 217–232.Google Scholar
- 5.DUBOIS, D., MARTIN-CLOUAIRE, R., PRADE, H. (1987) Practical computing in fuzzy logic. To appear in Fuzzy Computing, (M.M. Gupta, T. Yamakawa, eds.), North-Holland.Google Scholar
- 6.LEBAILLY, J., MARTIN-CLOUAIRE, R., PRADE, H. (1987) Use of fuzzy logic in a rule-based system in petroleum geology. In Approximate Reasoning in Intelligent Systems, Decision and Control, (E. Sanchez, L.A. Zadeh, eds.), Pergamon Press, 125–144.Google Scholar
- 7.MARTIN-CLOUAIRE, R. (1984) A fast generalized modus ponens. BUSEFAL, no 18, L.S.I., Univ. Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, 75–82.Google Scholar
- 8.MARTIN-CLOUAIRE, R. (1987) Management of imprecision and uncertainty in a rule-based system: an application to a petroleum geology problem. To appear in "Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence", (D. Dubois, H. Farreny, H. Prade eds.), Springer Verlag.Google Scholar
- 9.MARTIN-CLOUAIRE, R. (1987) Semantics and computation of the generalized modus ponens. Submitted to the 2nd inter. Fuzzy Systems Association Congress (IFSA-87), Tokyo, July 20–25.Google Scholar
- 10.MIZUMOTO, M., ZIMMERMANN, H.J. (1982) Comparison of fuzzy reasoning methods. Fuzzy Sets & Systems, 8, 253–283.Google Scholar
- 11.PRADE, H. (1985) A quantitative approach to approximate reasoning in rule-based expert systems. To appear in "Computer Expert Systems", (L. Bolc, M.J. Coombs, eds.) Springer Verlag. Also Int. Rep. No 229, LSI, Univ. P. Sabatier, Toulouse.Google Scholar
- 12.ZADEH, L.A. (1973) Outline of a new approach to the analysis of complex systems and decision processes. IEEE Trans. Systems, Man & Cybernetics, 3, 28–44.Google Scholar
- 13.ZADEH, L.A. (1979) A theory of approximate reasoning. Machine Intelligence, 9, (J.E. Hayes, D. Michie, L.I. Mikulich, eds.). Elsevier, 149–194.Google Scholar