Ada compiler validation: An example of software testing theory and practice
The Ada Compiler Validation Capability is a set of tests used to check the conformity of Ada compilers to the Ada Standard. This paper discusses the philosophy and development of these tests from a “lessons learned” perspective, and points out lessons that apply to the testing of other large software projects. Examples of tests and test outputs are given.
KeywordsTest Objective Test Suite Conformity Test Line Error Blank Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Ada 80]Reference Manual for the Ada Programming Language MIL-STD-1815 edition, 1980.Google Scholar
- [Ada 82]Reference Manual for the Ada Programming Language Draft, July 1982 edition, 1982.Google Scholar
- [Ada 83]Reference Manual for the Ada Programming Language ANSI/MIL-STD-1815A-1983 edition, 1983.Google Scholar
- [AdaIG 80]Goodenough, J. B. Ada Compiler Validation Implementers' Guide. Technical Report, SofTech, Inc., October, 1980.Google Scholar
- [AdaIG 86]Goodenough, J. B. Ada Compiler Validation Implementers' Guide. Technical Report, SofTech, Inc., December, 1986.Google Scholar
- [Carlson 81]Carlson, W. E. Ada: A promising beginning. COMPUTER 14(6):13–15, June, 1981.Google Scholar
- [Currit 86]Currit, P. A., Dyer, M., and Mills, H. D. Certifying the reliability of software. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering SE-12(1):3–11, January, 1986.Google Scholar
- [Goodenough 81]Goodenough, J. B. The Ada compiler validation capability. COMPUTER 14(6):57–64, June, 1981.Google Scholar
- [Hoyt 77]Hoyt, P. M. The Navy FORTRAN validation system. In AFIPS Conference Proceedings 1977 National Computer Conference, pages 529–537. 1977.Google Scholar
- [Oliver 79]Oliver, P. Experiences in building and using compiler validation systems. In AFIPS Conference Proceedings 1979 National Computer Conference, pages 1051–1057. 1979.Google Scholar
- [Wichmann 83]Wichmann, B. A. and Ciechanowicz, Z. J. (editors). Pascal Compiler Validation. John Wiley & Sons, 1983.Google Scholar