Electron-phonon relaxation mechanism and kinetic effects in two-dimensional conducting systems
The two-dimensional degenerate Fermi gas of electrons interacting with phonons is considered. The basic mechanisms of momentum relaxation in such a system, associated with electron-phonon, phonon-phonon and electron-electron collisions, are shown to be qualitatively different from similar mechanisms of the ordinary three-dimensional metal. The physical reason of the difference is that the two-dimensional system of interacting electrons and phonons breaks down into almost isolated groups between which the momentum transfer occurs through very slow, staged superdiffusion (mixing) processes. In this paper, the authors propose an efficient method for deriving superdiffusion equations, based on the detailed balancing conditions in the electron-phonon system. As has been found, the electric and thermal conductivity coefficients under certain conditions may be anomalously high, showing behaviour qualitatively different from that in three-dimensional metals. The effect of specifically two-dimensional relaxation mechanisms upon sound absorption and electric conductivity of thin samples is analyzed. The possibility of observing such effects experimentally in layered metal compounds of intercalated graphite type is discussed.
KeywordsFermi Surface Sound Absorption Detailed Balance Condition Phonon Drag Umklapp Process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Third Intl. Conference, 1983 — 3ème Conférence Intérnationale sur les composés à insertion de graphite, Pont-à-kiousson, 23–25 mai, Sec. C-I. In: Synthetic Metals, 8, No 3–4Google Scholar
- 2.R.N. Gurzhi and A.I. Kopeliovich, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 61,2514 (1971) Sov. Phys. JETP 34, 1345 (1972)Google Scholar
- 3.R.N. Gurzhi and A.I. Kopeliovich, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 64, 380 (1973) Sov. Phys. JETP 37, 195 (1973)Google Scholar
- 4.R.N. Gurzhi and A.I. Kopeliovich, Usp. Fiz. Nauk 133, 33 (1981) Sov. Phys. Usp. 24, 17 (1981)Google Scholar
- 5.R.N. Gurzhi, A.I. Kopeliovich and S.B. Rutkevich, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 83, 290 (1982) Sova Phys. JETP, 56, 159 (1982)Google Scholar
- 6.R.N. Gurzhi and S.B. Rutkevich, Fiz. Nizk. Temp. 9, 590 (1983) Sov. J. of Low Temp. Phys. 2, 298 (1983)Google Scholar
- 7.Yu.A. Klimenko and A.I. Kopeliovich, Fiz. Nizk. Temp. 11, 1062 (1985) Sov. J. of Low Temp. 11, 585 (1985)Google Scholar
- 8.R.N. Gurzhi, Usp. Fiz. Nauk 94, 689 (1968) Sov. Phys. Usp. 11, 255 (1968)Google Scholar
- 10.R.N. Gurzhi, A.N. Kalinenko, A.I. Kopeliovich and S.B. Rutkevich, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 91, 686 (1986)Google Scholar