Unsolvable decision problems for PROLOG programs
The paper presents a general method by which various natural decision problems for programs in PROLOG and extensions of PROLOG can easily be shown to be recursively unsolvable. A particularly interesting application of this method gives an affirmative answer to Flannagan's  conjecture that the floundering property for queries with respect to MU-PROLOG programs is undecidable.
KeywordsLogic Program Selection Rule Atomic Formula Deductive Database Prolog Program
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aquilano C. & Barbuti R. & Bocchetti P. & Martelli M. : Negation as Failure:Completeness of the Query Evaluation Process for Horn Clause Programs with Recursive Definitions. Journal of Automated Reasoning 2,155–170.Google Scholar
- Barbuti R. & Martelli M. : Completeness of SLDNF-resolution for a Class of Logic Programs. Proc. 3rd Int.Conf. on Logic Programming, Springer LNCS 225, 600–614.Google Scholar
- Clark K.L. : Negation as Failure. Logic and Data Bases (Gallaire H. & Minker J., Eds.), Plenum Press, New York, 293–322.Google Scholar
- Codd E.F.: Relational Completeness of Data Base Sublanguages. Data Bases Systems (Rustin R.,Ed.), Prentice Hall, 65–98.Google Scholar
- Flannagan T.: Some metatheorems (about negation) in logic programming. Summer Meeting of the Association for Symbolic Logic, Stanford 8.-19.7.Google Scholar
- Flannagan T.: The Consistency of Negation as Failure. Journal of Logic Programming.Google Scholar
- Lloyd J.W. & Topor R.W. : A Basis for Deductive Database Systems II. TR 85/6, Departement of Computer Science, University of Melbourne.Google Scholar
- Minsky M.L.: Recursive unsolvability of Post's problem of ‘tag’ and other topics in the theory of Turing machines. Ann. of Math. 74, 437–455Google Scholar
- Neish L.: MU-Prolog 3.2. Reference Manual. TR 85/11, Departement of Computer Science, University of Melbourne.Google Scholar
- Shepherdson J.C.: Negation as Failure: A Comparison of Clark's Completed Data Base and Reiter's Closed World Assumption. Journal of Logic Programming, 51–79.Google Scholar
- Shepherdson J.C.: Negation as Failure ll. Journal of Logic Programming, 185–202.Google Scholar
- Shepherdson J.C. & Sturgis H.E.: Computability of recursive functions. J.Ass.Comp.Mach. 10,217–255.Google Scholar