Convex hull of randomly chosen points from a polytope
What is the value of V n the expected ratio of the volume of P\E n to the volume of P?
What is the expected number of extreme points of the polytope E n ?
We show an upper bounds of C(P)/n(log n)d+1 on V n and C(P)(log n)d+1 on M n where C(P) is a constant that depends only on P (not on n). In both cases elementary arguments will only give a bound that replaces the power of log n by a power (less than one) of n. Previously, similar results were known only for the case of d=2. (Buchta (1984) and Rényi and Solanke (1963, 1964)). There has been substantial amount of work on the problem for spheres as well as for other quantities depending on E n in two dimensions. (see for example W.M. Schmidt (1968), G.Buchta, J.Müller and R.F.Tichy (1985), P.M.Gruber (1983) and I.Bárány and Z.Füredi (1986)) In case the polytope P has at least one vertex with exactly d adjacent vertices, we prove lower bounds of d(P)(log n)d−1 /n on V n and d(P)log n)d−1 on M n .
Using the bounds, we are able to show that certain simple divide and conquer algorithms for finding the set of all extreme points have good sequential (linear time) and parallel (polylog time) complexitites in the expected case when the points are chosen at random independently from a polytope in a fixed number of dimensions.
The results are based on a natural notion of centrality which we introduce for convex sets.
KeywordsGrid Point Convex Hull Extreme Point Half Space Adjacent Vertex
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- I.Bárány and Z.Füredi, Approximation of the ball by polytopes having a few vertices Technical report, Cornell University, School of Operations Research (1986)Google Scholar
- J.L. Bentley and M.I. Shamos, Divide and conquer for linear expected time, IPL 7(2):87–91, Feb., 1978.Google Scholar
- T. Bonnesen and W. Fenchel, Theorie der konvexen Körper, Springer Berlin (1934), Chelsea, New York (1948)Google Scholar
- C.Buchta, Zufallspolygone in konvexen Vielecken J. reine u angew. Mathematik 347, pp 212–220Google Scholar
- L.Lovász and H.Scarf, Neighbourhood systems in Integer Programming, Manuscript (1986)Google Scholar
- P.M.Gruber, Approximation of convex bodies in Convexity and its applications ed. P.M.Gruber, J.M.Wills, Birkhäuser Verlag (1983)Google Scholar
- A. Rényi and R. Sulanke, Über die konvexe Hülle von zufällig gewälten Punkten I and II, Zeitschrift für Wahrscheinlichkeittheorie 2, pp 75–84 (1963) and 3, pp 138–147 (1964)Google Scholar
- H. Raynaud, Sur l'envellope convexe des nuages des points ale'atoires dans R n, I. J. Appl. Prob. 7:35–48, 1970.Google Scholar
- W.M. Schmidt, Some results in probabilistic Geometry Zeitschrift für Wahrscheinlichkeittheorie 9, pp 158–162 (1968)Google Scholar