Design and proof of communicating sequential processes
An old principle connecting concurrent processes with sequential non-deterministic ones is revisited. Associated with a transformation technique, it leads to a methodology for an incremental design and verification of CSP networks. The starting point is a non-deterministic program. This program and its invariant are transformed step by step into a CSP network, without introducing new variables. The methodology is illustrated by the synthesis of a simple solution to the mutual exclusion problem.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Ash70]E.A. ASHCROFT and Z. MANNA, “Formalization of Properties of Parallel Programs”, Machine Intelligence, vol. 6, pp. 17–41, 1970Google Scholar
- [Dij78]E.W. DIJKSTRA and al., “On-the-Fly Garbage Collection: An Exercise in Cooperation”, CACM, vol. 21, pp. 966–975, 1978Google Scholar
- [Ger84]R. GERTH and W.P. DE ROEVER, “A proof system for concurrent ADA programs”, SCP, vol. 4, pp. 159–204, 1984Google Scholar
- [Grb85]P. GRIBOMONT, “Méthode progressive de synthèse et de vérification de programmes parallèles”, thèse de doctorat, université de Liège, 1985Google Scholar
- [Gri77]D. GRIES, “An exercise in Proving Parallel Programs Correct”, CACM, vol. 20, pp. 921–930, 1977Google Scholar
- [Hoa78]C.A.R. HOARE, “Communicating Sequential Processes”, CACM, vol. 21, pp. 666–677, 1978Google Scholar
- [Lam83]L. LAMPORT, “An Assertional Correctness Proof of a Distributed Algorithm”, SCP, vol. 2, pp. 175–206, 1983Google Scholar
- [MaP84]Z. MANNA and A. PNUELI, “Adequate proof principles for invariance and liveness properties of concurrent programs”, SCP, vol. 4, pp. 257–289, 1984Google Scholar
- [MaW84]Z. MANNA and P.L. WOLPER, “Synthesis of Communicating Processes from Temporal Logic Specifications”, ACM Toplas, vol. 6, pp. 68–93, 1984Google Scholar
- [May83]D. MAY, “OCCAM”, ACM Sigplan Notices, vol. 18, pp. 69–79, 1983Google Scholar
- [Mis81]J. MISRA and K.M. CHANDY, “Proofs of Networks of Processes”, IEEE Trans. on Software Engineering, vol. SE-7, pp. 417–426, 1981Google Scholar
- [Moi85]A. MOITRA, “Automatic construction of CSP programs from sequential non-deterministic programs”, SCP, vol. 5, pp. 277–307, 1985Google Scholar