Chapter 9 A technique for analyzing query execution in a multiprocessor database machine
In this paper a methodology for representing and evaluating the execution of relational queries by a multiprocessor data base machine (DBM) is presented. The starting points are the parallel algorithms implementing the relational operators in the DBM in question and the query to be executed. A structure, called query execution graph, is obtained by the analysis of this information. A query execution graph is the detailed description of the operations the DBM must carry out in order to execute the query. A procedure for computing the execution cost of the query is given. This procedure operates on the query execution graph and also takes into account the strategy used to allocate processors to the subqueries which can be executed in parallel.
KeywordsParallel Algorithm Query Execution Execution Cost Relational Operation Relational Query
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BBD83]D. Bitton, H. Boral, D.J. DeWitt and W.K. Wilkinson: Parallel Algorithms for the Execution of Relational Database Operations, ACM TODS, Vol. 8, n.3, Sept. 1983.Google Scholar
- [BOD81]H. Boral, D.J. DeWitt: Processor Allocation Strategies for Multiprocessor Data Base Machine, ACM TODS, Vol. 6, n.2, June 1981.Google Scholar
- [CDS83]F. Cesarini, D. De Luca and G. Soda: An Assessment of the Query-Processing Capability of DBMAC, in "Advanced Database Machine Architecture", D.K. Hsiao Ed., Prentice-Hall, 1983.Google Scholar
- [DEH81]D.J. DeWitt, P.B. Hawthorn: A Performance Evaluation of Data Base Machine Architectures, Proc. 7th Int. Conf. on VLDB, Cannes, 1981.Google Scholar
- [OSS77]E.A. Ozkarahan, S.A. Schuster and K.C. Sevick: Performance Evaluation of a Relational Associative Processor, ACM TODS, Vol.2, n.2, June 1977.Google Scholar
- [SHZ84]R.K. Shultz, R.J. Zingg: Response Time Analysis of Multiprocessor Computers for Database Support, ACM TODS, Vol. 9, n.1, March 1984.Google Scholar
- [SSS83]G. Schiffner, P. Scheuermann, S. Seehusen, H. Weber: On a Specification and Performance Evaluation Model for Multicomputer Database Machines, Proc. of 3rd Int. Workshop on Database Machines, Munich, Sept. 1983.Google Scholar
- [STV83]S. Salza, M. Terranova and P. Velardi: Performance Modeling of the DBMAC Architecture, Proc. of 3rd Int. Workshop on Database Machines, Munich, Sept. 1983 (also reprinted in this volume as chapter 7).Google Scholar
- [ULL80]J.D. Ullman: Principles of Database Systems, Computer Science Press, Maryland, 1980.Google Scholar
- [VAG84]P. Valduriez, G. Gardarin: Join and Semijoin Algorithms for a Multiprocessor Database Machine, ACM TODS, vol. 9, n.1, March 1984.Google Scholar