Wigner distribution function approach to the calculation of quantum effects in condensed matter physics
In condensed matter physics, the most common technique used in the calculation of quantum effects is that involving Green's functions, supplemented to a lesser extent by path-integral methods. Here we point out the potential value of the Wigner distribution function approach and we amplify our remarks by considering specific examples. In particular, we discuss our recent work on the extension of the range of applicability of phase-space techniques for the study of quantum systems; this is achieved by developing an expansion for phase-space functions in powers of the interaction potential.
KeywordsCorrelation Function Quantum Effect Generalize Langevin Equation Quantum Distribution Function Harmonic Oscillator Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. D. Mahan, Many-Particle Physics, Plenum (1981).Google Scholar
- 2.W. H. Louisell, Quantum Statistical Properties of Radiation, Wiley (1975).Google Scholar
- 4.S. Donaich and E. H. Sondheimer, Green's Functions for Solid State Physicists, Benjamin (1974); G. Rickayzen, Greens Functions and Condensed Matter, Academic (1980).Google Scholar
- 16.H. Mori, R. Oppenheim, and J. Ross, in Studies in Statistical Mechanics, edited by J. De Boer and G. E. Uhlenbeck, Wiley (1962), Vol. I.Google Scholar
- 21.J. R. Barker, in Physics of Non-Linear Transport in Semiconductors, edited by D. K. Ferry, J. R. Barker and N.. Jacaboni, Plenum 1980); J. R. Barker and S. Murray, Phys. Lett. 93A, 271 (1983).Google Scholar
- 23.G. J. Iafrate, H. L. Grubin, and D. K. Ferry, J. de Physique Colloq. 42, C7 (1981).Google Scholar
- 24.H. L.,Grubin, D. K. Ferry, G. J. Iafrate and J. R. Barker, in VLSI Electronics: Microstructure Science, Vol. 3, Academic (1982).Google Scholar
- 27.U. Ravaioli, M. A. Osman, W. Potz, N. Kluksdahl and D. K. Ferry, Superlattices and Microstructures, in press; N. Kluksdahl, W. Potz, U. Ravaioli, and 0. K. Ferry, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 31, (3), 395 (1986).Google Scholar
- 28.J. R. Barker, Superlattices and Microstructures, in press.Google Scholar
- 29.R. Dickman and R. F. O'Connell, Superlattices and Microstructures, in press.Google Scholar
- 31.R. Dickman and R. F. O'Connell, to be published.Google Scholar