Centipede graphs and visibility on a cylinder
We present a complete characterization of the class of graphs that admit a cylindric visibility representation, where vertices are represented by intervals parallel to the axis of the cylinder so that the edges of the graph correspond to visible intervals. Moreover, we give linear time algorithms for testing the existence of and constructing such a representation.
KeywordsPlanar Graph Directed Edge Linear Time Algorithm Topological Function Visibility Graph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. Asano, T. Asano, L. Guibas, J. Hershberger, and H. Imai, “Visibility of Dis-joint Polygons," Algorithmica, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 49–63, 1986.Google Scholar
- S. Even, Graph Algorithms, Computer Science Press, 1979.Google Scholar
- M. Garey, D. Johnson, and H. So, “An Application of Graph Coloring to Printed Circuit Testing,” IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems, vol. CAS-23, no. 10, pp. 591–598, 1976.Google Scholar
- E. Lodi and L. Pagli, “A VLSI Algorithm for a Visibility Problem,” pp. 125–134 in VLSI: Algorithms and Architectures, ed. P. Bertolazzi and F. Luccio, North-Holland, 1985.Google Scholar
- M. Schlag, F. Luccio, P. Maestrini, D.T. Lee, and C.K. Wong, “A Visibility Problem in VLSI Layout Compaction,” pp. 259–282 in Advances in Computing Research, vol. 2, ed. F.P. Preparata, JAI Press Inc., 1985.Google Scholar
- R. Tamassia and I.G. Tollis, “A Provably Good Linear Algorithm for Embedding Graphs in the Rectilinear Grid,” Technical Report ACT-64, Coordinated Science Laboratory, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1985.Google Scholar
- R. Tamassia and I.G. Tollis, “Algorithms for Visibility Representations of Planar Graphs,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science (Proc. STACS ′86), vol. 210, pp. 130–141, Springer-Verlag, 1986.Google Scholar
- C. Thomassen, “Plane Representations of Graphs,” pp. 43–69 in Progress in Graph Theory, ed. J.A. Bondy and U.S.R. Murty, Academic Press, 1984.Google Scholar
- S.K. Wismath, “Characterizing bar line-of-sight graphs,” Proc. of ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry, Baltimore, Maryland, pp. 147–152, 1985.Google Scholar