Source level debuggers: Experience from the design and implementation of chillscope
This paper is based on experience from the design and implementation of an interactive source level debugger as part of a programming environment for CHILL. The debugger is based on a variant of the event action breakpoint. By combining the ability to detect a rich repertoire of events, including events concerned with the interaction between concurrent processes, and a command language including the source language, a very powerful tool has been obtained. The paper describes the main features of the debugger and discusses some design decisions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- /Bate83/.P.C. Bates and J.C. Wileden: High Level Debugging of Distributed Systems: The Behavioural Abstraction Approach. The Journal of Systems and Software 3, 255–264 (1983)Google Scholar
- /Brue83/.B. Bruegge, P. Hibbard: Generalized Path Expressions: A High Level Debugging Mechanism. The Journal of Systems and Software 3, 265–276 (1983)Google Scholar
- /Frit83/.Peter Fritzson: Symbolic Debugging Through Incremental Compilation in an Integrated Environment. The Journal of Systems and Software 3, 285–294 (1983)Google Scholar
- /Gait84/.Jason Gait: A Probe Effect in Concurrent Programs Software-Practice and Experience, Vol 16(3), March 86Google Scholar
- /Henn82/.J. Hennessy: Symbolic Debugging of Optimized Code. ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems, Vol. 4, No. 3, July 1982Google Scholar
- /Powe83/.Michael L. Powell and Mark A. Linton: A Database Model of Debugging. The Journal of Systems and Software, 3, 295–300 (1983)Google Scholar
- /Satt79/.Edwin H. Satterthwaite, Jr.: Source Language Debugging Tools. Garland Publishing, Inc. 1979Google Scholar
- /Smit85/.Edward T. Smith: A Debugger for Message-based Processes. Software — Practice and Experience, Vol. 15 (Nov. 85)Google Scholar
- /Stoc60/.T.G. Stockham and J.B. Dennis: FLIT — Flexowriter Interrogation Tape: A Symbolic Utility Program for TX-O. Memo 5001-23, Dept. of Elect. Eng'g., MIT (July 1960)Google Scholar
- /URD86/.CHIPSY Reference Manual. URD Information Technology AS, Trondheim 1986Google Scholar
- /Zell83/.Polle T. Zellweger: An Interactive High-Level Debugger for Control-Flow Optimized Programs. Xerox Parc CSL-83-1, Palo Alto Jan 83Google Scholar