A framework for intelligent backtracking in logic programs
This paper presents a scheme for intelligent backtracking in Horn-clause logic programs. The scheme is simple and yet effective for backtracking within a clause. We also present a framework for using extra analysis to make within-clause-backtracking even more intelligent and also to perform across-the-clause backtracking intelligently. The primary strength of our scheme over other schemes is that it incurs very small overhead and yet can eliminate a lot of redundant backtracking. Our backtracking scheme can also be used when AND-parallelism is exploited in logic programs (i.e., when multiple literals of a clause are executed simultaneously).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Bruynooghe and L. M. Pereira, Deduction Revision by Intelligent Backtracking, pp. 194–215 in Implementations of Prolog, ed. J. A. Campbell, Ellis Horwood Limited, 1984.Google Scholar
- J.-H. Chang and A.M. Despain, Semi-Intelligent Backtracking of Prolog Based on a Static Data Dependency Analysis, Proceedings of IEEE Symposium on Logic Programming, pp. 10–21, August, 1985.Google Scholar
- J.S. Conery and D.F. Kibler, AND Parallelism and Nondeterminism in Logic Programs, New Generation Computing 3(1985), pp. 43–70, OHMSHA,LTD. and Springer-Verlag, 1985.Google Scholar
- P. Cox and T. Pietizylowski, Deduction Plans: a basis for intelligent backtracking, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence PAMI-3, 1, 1981.Google Scholar
- Y.J. Lin and V. Kumar, An Execution Model for Exploiting AND-Parallelism in Logic Programs, Technical Report, AI Lab., Computer Science Dept., The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas, March, 1986.Google Scholar
- Y.J. Lin, V. Kumar, and C. Leung, An Intelligent Backtracking Algorithm for Parallel Execution of Logic Programs, the Third International Conference on Logic Programming, London, England, pp. 55–68, July, 1986.Google Scholar
- S. Matwin and T. Pietrzylowski, Plan based deduction: data structures and implementation, Proceedings of 6th Conference on Automated Deduction, New York, Springer-Verlag, 1982.Google Scholar
- L. M. Pereira and A. Porto, Selective Backtracking, pp. 107–114 in Logic Programming, ed. K. L. Clark and S.-A. Tarnlund, Academic Press, 1982.Google Scholar