Formalising the network and hierarchical data models — an application of categorical Logic
We have noted that data modelling and conceptual modelling have content and performance as their concerns. For the different data models, the Network and the Hierarchic, we have given logics involving the operations which are physically supported according to the data model. The logics are sensitive to performance in a way that classical logic is not. We have now suggested how we might formalise this.
Network and Hierarchical databases have the functional inverse or family as their primitive of organisation. To formalise the Network model we have given a general definition of network category which seems to generalise correctly the hierarchical logic of contextual categories.
KeywordsData Model Entity Type Database Schema External View Network Schema
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abrial, J.R., "Data Semantics," in Database Management, ed. Klimbie,J.W. and Koffeman,K.L., North Holland, 1974.Google Scholar
- 2.Bachman, C.W., "Data Structure Diagrams," Data Base, vol. 1,2, 1969.Google Scholar
- 3.Buneman, P., Frankel, R. E., and Nikhil, R., "An Implementation Technique for Database Query Languages," ACM Transactions on Database Systems, vol. 7, no. 2, June, 1982.Google Scholar
- 4.Burstall, R.M. and Goguen, J.A., "Introducing Institutions," in Proceedings,Logics of Programmimng Workshop, ed. Clarke,E. and Kozen,D., Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 164, Springer-Verlag, 1984.Google Scholar
- 5."CODASYL," Data Base Task Group Report, ACM, 1971.Google Scholar
- 6.Cartmell, J.W., "Contextual Categories and Generalised Algebraic Theories," Journal of Pure and Applied Logic, North Holland, To Appear.Google Scholar
- 7.Codd, E.F., "A Relational Model of Data for Large Shared Data Banks," Comms.ACM, vol. 13, no. 6, June, 1970.Google Scholar
- 8.Date, C.J., An Introduction to Database Systems, Addison Wesley, 1981.Google Scholar
- 9.Lawvere, F.W., "Functorial Semantics of Algebraic Theories," Proceedings, National Acadamy of Sciences, vol. 50, 1963.Google Scholar
- 10.Martin-Lof, P., "Constructive Mathematics and Computer Programming," Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, vol. VI, North Holland.Google Scholar
- 11.Martin-Lof, P., "An Intuitionistic Theory of Types," Proc. Bristol Logic Colloquium, North Holland, 1973.Google Scholar
- 12.Shipman, D.W., "The Functional Data Model and the Data Language DAPLEX," ACM Transactions on Database Systems, vol. 6, no. 1, March 1981.Google Scholar
- 13.Tsichritzis, D. and Lochovsky, F., Data Models, Prentice Hall, 1981.Google Scholar