A parallel processing algorithm for thinning digitised pictures
spurious branches are not present in the final skeleton;
the thinned pattern is approximately in the centre of the original pattern.
A new algorithm is presented which is designed to exploit the computing potential of array processors. In particular, the algorithm can be efficiently implemented on the ICL Distributed Array Processor.
KeywordsEdge Function Array Processor Digitise Picture Connected Neighbour West Edge
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).Hilditch, C J, "Linear Skeletons from Square Cupboards", Machine Intelligence IV, B Meltzer and D Michie Eds, American Elsevier, New York, 1969, pp 403–420Google Scholar
- (2).Stefanelli, R and Rosenfeld, A, "Some Parallel Thinning Algorithms for Digital Pictures", JACM, Vol 18, No 2, April 1971, pp 255–264.Google Scholar
- (3).Zhang, T Y and Suen, C Y, "A Fast Parallel Algorithm for Thinning Digital Patterns", CACM, Vol.27, No.3, March 1984, pp. 236–239.Google Scholar
- (4).Holt, C, Stewart, A, Clint, M, Perrott, R H, "An improved thinning algorithm" (to appear CACM).Google Scholar
- (5).Stewart, A, Holt, C, Clint, M, Perrott, R H, "A DAP Fortran Subroutine for Thinning Digitised Pictures" (submitted to the Computer Journal — Algorithms section).Google Scholar