The digital optical computing program at Erlangen
Optics is already penetrating the field of digital computing for example as read-only storage, as bus and as I/O devices. Protection against E.M.I. and E.M.P. is an incentive for replacing electronics by optics. Another incentive is the speed potential based on a carrier frequency of a million GHz.
Yet another incentive is the superior communications topology of optics: many light rays can criss-cross each other without disturbances. For comparison: only one wire can occupy any particular part of the three-dimensional space.
The specific projects at Erlangen deal with optics in conventional computers as well as with all optical computers.
KeywordsOptical Computer Input Array Digital Computing Volume Hologram Holographic Optical Element
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- /1/.H. Tajima, Y. Okada, K. Tamura: "A High Speed Optical Common Bus", TGCS 81, IECE, 1981.Google Scholar
- /2/.K.-R. Hase: "Computer Internal Optical Bus System with Light Guiding Plate", in Proc. European Conference on Optical Communication, ECOC 85Google Scholar
- /3/.D. Heger, P.-J. Becker, H. Bolle, W. Heil, P. Peschke: "HOLOLINK: A Conflictfree Holographic Interonnection Network of High Bandwidth for Highly Parallel Computing Systems", NTG Fachberichte 92, 1986, p. 280Google Scholar
- /4/.V. Benes: "Mathematical Theory of Connecting Networks and Telephone Traffic", Academic Press New York, 1965Google Scholar
- /5/.K.E. Batcher: "Sorting Networks and their Applications", in Proc. AFIPS 1968, SJCC 32, 2 Montvale N.J.: AFIPS Press, p. 307Google Scholar
- /6/.C.L. Wu, T.Y. Feng: "The Universality of the Shuffle-Exchange Network", IEEE Trans. on Computers, C-30, 5 (1981) p. 324Google Scholar
- /7/.A. Lohmann, W. Stork, G. Stucke: "Optical Perfect Shuffle", Appl. Opt. March 15, 1986Google Scholar
- /8/.K.-H. Brenner, A. Huang: "Optical Implementations of the Perfect Shuffle Interconnection", Appl. Opt. 1986Google Scholar
- /9/.A. Lohmann: "What Classical Optics can do for the Digital Optical Computer", Appl. Opt. March 15, 1986Google Scholar
- /10/.H. Bartelt, S.K. Case: "Coordinate Transformations via Multifacet Holographic Optical Elements", Optical Engineering 22 (1983) p. 497Google Scholar
- /11/.H. Bartelt, A. Lohmann, E.E. Sicre: "Optical Logic Processing in Paralel with Theta Modulation", J.Opt.Soc.Am. 1 (1984) p. 944Google Scholar
- /12/.A. Lohmann, J. Weigelt: "A Digital Optical Adder Based on Spatial Filtering", Appl. Opt. Nov. 1, 1986Google Scholar
- /13/.A. Huang: "Parallel Algorithms for Optical Digital Computers", Proc. 10th International Optial Computing Conference IEEE 1983, p. 13–17Google Scholar
- /14/.K.-H. Brenner, A. Huang: "Digital Optical Computing with Symbolic Substitution", Appl. Opt. Nov. 1, 1986Google Scholar