The triton binding-energy problem
The binding energy of the trinucleon system can now be calculated for a model Hamiltonian with both two- and three-body forces to an accuracy of 10 keV. At least 34 channels must be used in the numerical calculations to achieve this accuracy. All models which use only two-body interactions yield binding energies which are below the experimental values. The addition of either the Tucson-Melbourne or the Brazil two-pion-exchange three-nucleon force to the model Hamiltonian produces a large change in the binding energy. If one uses the commonly accepted value of the pion-nucleon form factor cutoff for the three-body force, then both three-body force models overbind the triton by about 1.5 MeV. Also, the addition of a three-body force to the model Hamiltonian does not produce significant changes in the charge density.
KeywordsBinding Energy Charge Density Charge Radius Faddeev Equation Total Wave Function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. Torre, J. J. Benayoun, and J. Chauvin, Z. Phys. A300, 319 (1981).Google Scholar
- aMuslim, Y. E. Kim, and T. Ueda, Nucl. Phys. A383, 399 (l983).Google Scholar
- R. B. Wiringa, J. L. Friar, B. F. Gibson, G. L. Payne, and C. R. Chen, Phys. Lett. 143B, 273 (1984).Google Scholar
- S. Ishikawa, T. Sasakawa, T. Sawada, and T. Ueda, Phys. Rev. Lett. 53, 1877 (1984).Google Scholar
- H. T. Coelho, T. K. Das, and M. R. Robilotta, Phys. Rev. C 28, 1812 (1983).Google Scholar
- J. I. Fujita and H. Miyazawa, Prog. Theor. Phys. 17, 360 (1957).Google Scholar
- C. R. Chen, G. L. Payne, J. L. Friar, and B. F. Gibson, Phys. Rev. Lett. 55, 374 (1985).Google Scholar
- A. Bomelburg, preprint.Google Scholar
- See these Proceedings.Google Scholar
- H. P. Noyes, in “Three Body Problem in Nuclear and Particle Physics, edited by J. C. S. McKee and P. M. Rolph (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1970), p. 2.Google Scholar
- P. M. Prenter, Splines and Variational Methods (Wiley, New York, 1975).Google Scholar
- J. L. Friar and J. W. Negele, Adv. Nucl. Phys. 8, 219 (1975).Google Scholar