On the number of divisors of a polynomial over GF(2)
An upper bound is obtained on the number of polynomials over GF(2) that divide a polynomial of degree n over GF(2). This bound is the solution of a maximisation problem under constraints. It is used to show that most binary shortened cyclic codes (irreducible or not) satisfy the Gilbert bound.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S.W. GOLOMB, Shift Register Sequences, Holden-Day, San Francisco 1967.Google Scholar
- T. KASAMI, "An upper bound on k/n for affine-invariant codes with fixed d/n", IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. IT-15, pp. 174–176, January 1969.Google Scholar
- F.J. MACWILLIAMS and N.J.A. SLOANE, The Theory of Error Correcting Codes, North-Holland, 1977.Google Scholar
- J. JUSTESEN, "A class of constructive asymptotically good algebraic codes", IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. IT-18, pp. 652–656, September 1972.Google Scholar
- E.J. WELDON, "Justesen's construction-The low-rate case", IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. IT-10, pp. 711–713, September 1973.Google Scholar
- R.G. GALLAGER, Information Theory and Reliable Communication, Wiley, New York, 1968.Google Scholar