Combinational static CMOS networks
We develop mathematical switch-level models for static combinational CMOS networks. In contrast to other available MOS models and theories, our models capture design principles that are special to CMOS, such as the use of transmission gates. First we study networks consisting of cascade connections of CMOS cells realizing negative functions. We then extend this model to incorporate transmission gates. Finally, we develop a more complex CMOS graph model which includes a ternary transient analysis and is capable of handling some unconventional, but commercially used, combinational networks. Such designs cannot be properly explained by presently available theories. Also, we discuss several general design approaches.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [B]Bryant, R. E., “A Switch-Level Model and Simulator for MOS Digital Systems”, IEEE Trans. Computers C-33, 2, February 1984, 160–177.Google Scholar
- [BY 76]Brzozowski, J. A., and Yoeli, M., Digital Networks, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1976.Google Scholar
- [BY 79]Brzozowski, J. A., and Yoeli, M., “On a Ternary Model of Gate Networks”, IEEE Trans. Computers C-28, 3, March 1979, 178–184.Google Scholar
- [BY 85]Brzozowski, J. A., and Yoeli, M., “Combinational Static CMOS Networks”, Research Report No. CS-85-42, Department of Computer Science, University of Waterloo; December 1985.Google Scholar
- [C]Caldwell, S. H., Switching Circuits and Logical Design, John Wiley, 1958.Google Scholar
- [H]Hayes, J. P., “A Unified Switching Theory with Applications to VLSI Design”, Proc. IEEE 70, 10, October 1982, 1140–1151.Google Scholar
- [M 86]Mukherjee, A., “Introduction to nMOS and CMOS VLSI Systems Design”, Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1986.Google Scholar
- [M]Muroga, S., VLSI System Design, John Wiley, 1982.Google Scholar
- [WE]Weste, N., and Eshraghian, K., Principles of CMOS VLSI Design, Addison-Wesley, 1985.Google Scholar
- [YB 84]Yoeli, M., and Brzozowski, J. A., “A Mathematical Model of Digital CMOS Networks”, Research Report No. CS-84-22, Department of Computer Science, University of Waterloo; August 1984.Google Scholar
- [YB 85]Yoeli, M., and Brzozowski, J. A., “A Mathematical Model of Digital CMOS Networks”, 1985 Canadian Conference on VLSI, Toronto, Ontario; November 1985, 117–120.Google Scholar