Digital filtering in VLSI
In this paper we take a first step in the study of VLSI realizations of digital filtering. For increasing input rate. processing is feasible only by resorting to massive parallelism, i.e., to an nq-th extension of the original order-n filter. We show that the operation is reducible to convolutions with fixed n-vectors and propose to realize the computation by means of the twisted-reflected-tree, a network naturally suited for prefix computation. We discuss the issues of precision and operand length, and illustrate the arising area/data-rate/delay trade-offs.
KeywordsDiscrete Fourier Transform Digital Filter Input Sample Toeplitz Matrix Infinite Impulse Response
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BK81]R. P. Brent and H.T. Kung, "The chip complexity of binary arithmetic," Journal of the ACM, vol. 28, n. 3, pp. 521–534; July 1981.Google Scholar
- [Bk82]R. P. Brent and H.T. Kung, "A regular layout for parallel adders," IEEE Trans. Comput. vol. C-31, n. 3, pp. 260–264; March 1982.Google Scholar
- [BPV83]G. M. Baudet, F. P. Preparata and J.E. Vuillemin, "Area-time optimal VLSI circuits for convolution," IEEE Trans. Comp., vol. C-32, no. 7, pp. 684–688; July 1983.Google Scholar
- [BP85]G. Bilardi and F. P. Preparata "The influence of key length on the area-time complexity of sorting," Proc. I.C.A.L.P., Nafplion, Greece (Springer-Verlag) pp. 53–62; July 1985.Google Scholar
- [BS84]G. Bilardi and M. Sarrafzadeh, "Optimal discrete Fourier transform in VLSI," International Workshop on Parallel Computing and VLSI, Amalfi, Italy; May 1984.Google Scholar
- [F83]F.E. Fitch, "New bounds for parallel prefix circuits," Proc. 15th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, Boston, MA pp. 100–109; April 1983.Google Scholar
- [K80]T. Kailath, Linear Systems, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ; 1980.Google Scholar
- [LF80]R. E. Ladner and M. J. Fisher, "Parallel prefix computation," Journal of the ACM, vol. 27, n. 4, pp. 831–838; October 1980.Google Scholar
- [OS75]A.V. Oppenheim and R.W. Schafer, Digital Signal Processing, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ; 1975.Google Scholar
- [PV81]F. P. Preparata and J. Vuillemin, "Area-time optimal VLSI networks for ocmputing interger multiplication and discrete Fourier transform," Proc. of I.C.A.L.P., Haifa, Israel, pp. 29–40; July 1981.Google Scholar
- [T80]C. D. Thompson, "A complexity theory for VLSI," Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Computer Science, Carnegie-Mellon University; August 1980.Google Scholar
- [T83]C.D. Thompson, "Fourier transforms in VLSI," IEEE Trans. Comput., vol. C-32, n. 11, pp. 1047–1057; November 1983.Google Scholar