A parallel vertex insertion algorithm for minimum spanning trees
A new parallel algorithm for updating the minimum spanning tree of an n-vertex graph following the addition of a new vertex is presented. The algorithm runs in O(log n) time, using O(n) processors on a concurrent-read-exclusive-write parallel random access machine. The algorithm uses a divide-and-conquer strategy, and is superior to known results on this model, that either obtain O(log n) time performance using O(n2) processors, or employ O(n) processors but have a time complexity of O (log2 n).
KeywordsMinimum Span Tree Euler Number Algorithm SplitTree Tree Edge Special Vertex
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Spira, P. and Pan, A., "On Finding and Updating Spanning Trees and Shortest Paths", SIAM J. Comp., 4 (1975), pp. 375–380.Google Scholar
- 2.Chin, F. and Houck, D., "Algorithms for Updating Minimum Spanning Trees", J. Comput. System Sci., 16 (1978), pp. 333–344.Google Scholar
- 3.Pawagi, S. and Ramakrishnan I. V., "Parallel Update of Graph Properties in Logarithmic Time", Proc. 1985 Intl. Conf. on Parallel Processing, (1985), pp. 186–193.Google Scholar
- 4.Tsin, Y. and Chin, F., "Efficient Parallel Algorithms for a Class of Graph Theoretic Algorithms", SIAM J. Comp., 14, (1984), pp. 580–599.Google Scholar
- 5.Savage, C. and Ja'Ja, J., "Fast Efficient Parallel Algorithms for some Graph Problems", SIAM J. Comp., 10, (1981), pp. 682–691.Google Scholar
- 6.Kwan, S. C., and Ruzzo, W. L., "Adaptive Parallel Algorithms for Finding Minimum Spanning Trees", Proc. of the 1984 Intl. Conf. on Parallel Processing, (1984), pp. 175–179.Google Scholar
- 7.Awerbuck, B. and Shiloach, Y., "New Connectivity and MSF Algorithms for UltraComputer And PRAM," Proc. of the 1983 Intl. Conf. on Parallel Processing, (1983), pp. 175–179.Google Scholar
- 8.Tarjan, R. E. and Vishkin, U., "Finding Biconnected Components and Computing Tree Functions in Logarithmic Time", 25th Annual ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, (1984), pp. 230–239.Google Scholar
- 9.Lipton, R. J. and Tarjan, R. E., "A Separator Theorem for Planar Graphs", SIAM J. Appl. Math., Vol. 3, No. 2, (1979). pp. 177–189.Google Scholar
- 10.Vishkin, U., "An Efficient Parallel Strong Orientation", TR 109, Computer Science Department, New York University, New York, (1984).Google Scholar
- 11.Doshi, K. A. and Varman, P. J., "A Parallel Algorithm for Vertex Update of Minimum Spanning Trees," Technical Report, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Rice University, Houston, (1986).Google Scholar