A superimposed codeword indexing scheme for very large Prolog databases
This paper describes a database indexing scheme, based on the method of superimposed codewords, which is suitable for dealing with very large databases of Prolog clauses. Superimposed codeword schemes provide a very efficient method of retrieving records from large databases in only a small number of disk accesses. The scheme described in this paper extends the standard techniques of superimposed coding to handle general Prolog terms, including functors and variables, thus making it simple to store Prolog rules in the database.
KeywordsPartial-match retrieval Prolog hashing descriptors optimisation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. Futo, F. Darvas and P. Szeredi, “The application of Prolog to the development of QA and DBM systems”, in Logic and Data Bases, H. Gallaire and J. Minker (editor), Plenum Press, New York, 1978, 347–376.Google Scholar
- 2.L. Naish, “MU-Prolog 3.2 Reference Manual”, Technical Report 85/11, Department of Computer Science, University of Melbourne, November 1985.Google Scholar
- 3.K. Ramamohanarao, J. W. Lloyd and J. A. Thom, “Partial-match Retrieval using Hashing and Descriptors”, Technical Report 82/1, Department of Computer Science, University of Melbourne, February 1982.Google Scholar
- 4.K. Ramamohanarao,, J. W. Lloyd and J. A. Thom, “Partial-match Retrieval using Hashing and Descriptors”, ACM Transactions on Database Systems 8, 4 (December 1983), 552–576.Google Scholar
- 5.K. Ramamohanarao and J. Shepherd, “A superimposed codeword indexing scheme for very large Prolog databases”, Technical Report 85/17, Department of Computer Science, University of Melbourne, November 1985.Google Scholar
- 6.C. S. Roberts, “Partial match retrieval via the method of superimposed codes”, Proceedings of the IEEE 67, 2 (1979), 522–528.Google Scholar
- 7.R. Sacks-Davis and K. Ramamohanarao, “A two level superimposed coding scheme for partial match retrieval”, Information Systems 8, 4 (1983), 273–280. Originally appeared as Technical Report 82/2, Department of Computer Science, University of Melbourne, 1982.Google Scholar
- 8.J. Samanek, “Partial-match retrieval using multi-level superimposed codes”, M.Sc. Thesis, University of New South Wales, April 1982.Google Scholar
- 9.M. J. Wise and D. M. W. Powers, “Indexing Prolog clauses via superimposed codewords and field encoded words”, Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Logic Programming, Atlantic City, NJ, January 1984, 203–210.Google Scholar