An optimal lower bound for turing machines with one work tape and a two-way input tape
This paper contains the first concrete lower bound argument for Turing machines with one work tape and a two-way input tape (these Turing machines are often called "offline 1-tape Turing machines"). In particular we prove an optimal lower bound of Ω(n3/2/(log n)1/2) for transposing a matrix with elements of bit length ∘(logn) (where n is the length of the total input). This implies a lower bound of Ω(n3/2/(log n)1/2) for sorting on the considered type of Turing machine. We also get as corollaries the first nonlinear lower bound for the most difficult version of the two tapes — versus — one problem, and a separation of the considered type of Turing machine from that with an additional write-only output tape.
KeywordsTuring Machine Kolmogorov Complexity Input Tape Matrix Transposition Output Tape
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Duris, Z. Galil, W.J. Paul, and R. Reischuk, Two nonlinear lower bounds, Proc. 15th ACM STOC (1983) 127–132.Google Scholar
- P. Erdös and G. Szekeres, A combinatorial problem in Geometry, Composito Math. 2(1935) 464–470.Google Scholar
- F.C. Hennie, One-tape off-line Turing machine computations, Inf. and Control 8(1965) 553–578.Google Scholar
- J.E. Hopcroft and J.D. Ullman, Introduction to Automata Theory. Languages and Computation, Addison-Wesley (Reading, 1979).Google Scholar
- J.E. Hopcroft, W.J. Paul, and L. Valiant. On time versus space. J. of the ACM 24 (1977) 332–337.Google Scholar
- W. Maass, Are recursion theoretic arguments useful in complexity theory? Proc. of the 7th International Conference on Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, Salzburg 1983 (North-Holland, Amsterdam 1985).Google Scholar
- W. Maass, Quadratic lower bounds for deterministic and non-deterministic one-tape Turing machines, Proc. of the 16th ACM STOC (1984) 401–408.Google Scholar
- W. Maass, Combinatorial lower bound arguments for deterministic and nondeterministic Turing machines, Trans. of the Amer. Math. Soc. 292(1985) 675–693.Google Scholar
- W.J. Paul, Kolmogorov complexity and lower bounds, Proc. of the Second Int. Conf. on Fund. of Computation Theory, L. Budach ed., 325–334 (Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 1979).Google Scholar
- W.J. Paul, On-line simulation of k+1 tapes by k tapes requires nonlinear time, Proc. 23rd IEEE FOCS (1982) 53–56.Google Scholar
- W.J. Paul, N. Pippenger, E. Szemeredi and W. Trotter, On determinism versus nondeterminism and related problems, Proc. 24th IEEE FOCS (1983) 429–438.Google Scholar
- H.J. Stoss, Rangierkomplexität von Permutationen, Acta Informatica 2 (1973) 80–96.Google Scholar