Expected forms of data flow analyses
A previous paper developed a general denotational framework for specification of data flow analyses and for proofs of correctness (using abstract interpretation). In particular, the method of "inducing" specifies new data flow analyses that as precisely as possible approximate given data flow analyses. However, from a practical point of view the induced versions of the functionals are "too precise" and this motivates a study of "expected forms" (or "normal forms"). This paper suggests such forms and shows the correctness of systematically using them.
KeywordsTensor Product Natural Transformation Complete Lattice Abstract Interpretation Functional Composition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [ArMa 75]M.A. Arbib, C.G. Manes: Arrows, Structures and Functors: The Categorical Imperative, Academic Press, 1975.Google Scholar
- [CoCo 77]P. Cousot, R. Cousot: Abstract Interpretation: a unified lattice model for static analysis of programs by construction or approximation of fixpoints, in: Conf. Record of the 4th ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages, 1977.Google Scholar
- [CoCo 79]P. Cousot, R. Cousot: Systematic design of program analysis framework, in: Conf. Record of the 6th ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages, 1979.Google Scholar
- [Don 78]V. Donzeau-Gouge: Utilisation de la sémantique dénotationelle pour l'étude d'interprétations non-standard, IRIA report No. 273, France, 1978.Google Scholar
- [JoMu 81]N.D. Jones, S.S. Mucknick: Complexity of flow analysis, inductive assertion synthesis and a language due to Dijkstra, in: Program Flow Analysis: Theory and Applications, S.S. Mucknick, N.D. Jones (eds.), Prentice-Hall, 1981.Google Scholar
- [Nie 84]F. Nielson: Abstract Interpretation Using Domain Theory, Ph.D. thesis, University of Edinburgh, Scotland, 1984.Google Scholar
- [Nie 85a]F. Nielson: Abstract Interpretation of Denotational Definitions, Proceedings STACS 1986, Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science.Google Scholar
- [Nie 85b]F. Nielson: Tensor Products Generalize the Relational Data Flow Analysis Method, 4'th HCSC 1985.Google Scholar
- [ShWa 77]A. Shamir, W.W. Wadge: Data Types as Objects, in: Proceedings 4th ICALP, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 52, Springer-Verlag, p.p. 465–479.Google Scholar
- [SmPl 82]M.B. Smyth, G.D. Plotkin: The category-theoretic solution of recursive domain equations, SIAM J. Comput., vol. 11 No. 4 (1982), p.p. 761–783.Google Scholar