An algorithmic interface structure for pascal compilers
We implemented the first version of the interface-compiler for PASCAL. The main problems we are faced with the following.
a) Efficiency: The increased number of procedure calls (e.g. a number of code generation routines had to be created) demands greater efforts during the run time of the compiler.
An inline code substitution for procedure calls should be applied to avoid an additional overhead.
b) The complexity of PASCAL (compared with CDL 2) leads to a corresponding complexity of the interface between the code generator and the translator. To mange this, all exchanged routines have to be specified in a reasonable way.
There is a very urgent need of the specification both of the code generator and the translator: In implementing a new code generator, the implementor has to know the effect of the code generation routines to be inplemented and the effect of the translator routines to be used in this implementation.
The specification problem is rather complicated because we have to abstract from the details of all target codes in question.
Altogether, the interface-compiler seems to be the basis of compilers for PASCAL-like languages with a higher degree of portability and with a problem-directed compiler structure.
For a closer information on this project, see /Bothe 85/.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- /Ammann 74/.Ammann, U.; The method of structured programming applied to the development of a compiler; International Computing Symposium, North-Holland, 1974.Google Scholar
- /Anacki 80/.Anacki, K.; Iglewski, M.; Krepski, A.; Missala, M.; Compiler for PASCAL 360 — O.S.; Institute of Computer Science of the Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, 1980.Google Scholar
- /Bothe 83/.Bothe, K.; Kosciolowicz, R.; M-PASCAL: A language for modular PASCAL programming; Preprint 55, Sektion Mathematik, Humboldt-Universität Berlin, 1983.Google Scholar
- /Bothe 83a/.Bothe, K.; The remodularization of a compiler by abstract data types; Proceedings IFIP TC2 Working Conference on Programming Languages and System Design, North-Holland, 1983.Google Scholar
- /Holager 84/.Holager, P.; Feuerhahn, H.; Code generator interface for the CDL 2 compiler; second revision; Report, epsilon GMBH, 1984.Google Scholar
- /Schiemangk 83/.Schiemangk, H.; Bell, J.; Implementation of a PASCAL compiler generating V-code; Sektion Mathematik, Humboldt-Universität Berlin, 1983.Google Scholar
- /Wirth 71/.Wirth, N.; The programming language PASCAL; Acta Informatica, 1(1971).Google Scholar
- /Wirth 80/.Wirth, N.; MODULA 2; Institut für Informatik, ETH Zürich, Bericht 36, 1980.Google Scholar