The equivalent local potential for the case of channel coupling by means of the inverse scattering method
As a simulation of the nuclear structure calculation of the optical model potential, a set of coupled equations was solved, in which all the potentials (diagonal and inter-channel ) were real. The resulting S-Matrix elements were inverted to obtain a local, L-independent equivalent potential. The imaginary part of this potential was found to be mainly absorptive in the surface and emissive in the interior. The absorptive peak occurs in the region where the coupling potential is largest. The S-Matrix elements were well reproduced. The wave functions obtained from the equivalent local potentials are surprisingly close to those obtained from the coupled channel calculations. When an optical model of Woods-Saxon shape was searched to.fit the cross section, the imaginary part also was found to have emissive and absorptive components, similar to the potential obtained by inversion, but the corresponding S-Matrix elements for the low L-partial waves became unphysical, in that they had a magnitude larger than unity.
KeywordsOptical Potential Couple Channel Inverse Scattering Method Coupling Potential Inelastic Channel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C.L. Rao, M. Reeves III, and G.R. Satchler, Nucl.Phys. A207, (1973) 182.Google Scholar
- 2.P.W. Coulter and G.R. Satchler, Nucl.Phys. A293 (1977) 167.Google Scholar
- 3.N. Vinh Mau and A. Bouyssy, Nucl.Phys. A257 (1976) 189Google Scholar
- 3.aA. Bouyssy, H. Ngo and N. Vihn Mau, Nucl.Phys. A371 (1983) 173.Google Scholar
- 4.F. Osterfeld, J. Wambach and V.A. Madsen, Phys.Rev. C23 (1981) 179Google Scholar
- 4.aH. Dermawan, F. Osterfeld, and V.A. Madsen, Phys.Rev., C29 (1984) 1075.Google Scholar
- 5.F. Brieva and J. Rook, Nucl.Phys. A291 (1977) 299; ibid A291 (1977) 317; ibid A307 (1978) 493; H.V. von Geramb, IUCF workshop 1982, edited by H.O. Meyer, AIP Conference Proc. No.97, (American Institute 0f Physics, New York, 1983) p. 44.Google Scholar
- 7.C. Mahaux, IUCF workshop 1982, edited by H.O. Meyer, AIP Conference Proc. N0. 97, (American Institute 0f Physics, New York, 1983) p. 20.Google Scholar
- 8a.F. Perey and B. Buck, Nucl.Phys. 32 (1962) 357.Google Scholar
- 9.R. Lipperheide, S. Sofianos and H. Fiedeldey, Phys.Rev. C26 (1982) 770Google Scholar
- 9a.K. Naidoo, H. Fiedeldey and S.A. Sofianos, Nucl.Phys. A419 (1984) 13Google Scholar
- 10.B.C. Clark, S. Hama, E.D. Cooper and R.L. Mercer, in Neutron-Nucleus Collisions-A Probe 0f Nuclear Structure, Burr Oak State Park, Ohio, 1984, AIP Conference Proc. N0. 124, edited by J. Rapaport, R.W. Finlay, S.M. Grimes, and F.S. Dietrich (ATP, New York, 1985) p. 123; G.H. Rawitscher, Phys.Rev. C31 (1985) 1173.Google Scholar