Towards the hierarchical, temporal logic, specification of concurrent systems
A hierarchical specification method is given which, through the use of a past time temporal logic, handles both safety and liveness requirements. The technique is applied to the specification of a "two way channel with disconnect", and in the partial development of a "packet switching communications network". An inference rule for the justification of parallel composition is indicated.
KeywordsTemporal Logic Linear Temporal Logic Parallel Composition Concurrent Program Temporal Formula
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BK83]H.Barringer and R.Kuiper A Temporal Logic Specification Method Supporting Hierarchical Development Extended Abstract Dept. of Computer Science, University of Manchester. Nov. 1983Google Scholar
- [Jo83]C.B. Jones Specification and Design of (Parallel) Programs Proc. IFIP 83, Paris, North Holland, 1983.Google Scholar
- [MP82a]Z. Manna and A. Pnueli Verification of Concurrent Programs: The Temporal Framework in "The Correctness Problem in Computer Science" ed. R.S. Boyer and J.S. Moore International Lecture Series in Computer Science, pp215–273, Academic Press, London, 1982.Google Scholar
- [MP82b]Z.Manna and A.Pnueli Verification of Concurrent Programs: A Temporal Proof System Computer Science Report, Stanford University, 1983.Google Scholar
- [OL82]S.S. Owicki and L. Lamport Proving Liveness Properties of Concurrent Programs ACM TOPLAS, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp455–495, July 1982.Google Scholar
- [Pn79]A. Pnueli The Temporal Semantics of Concurrent Computation in Proc. of the Symp. on Semantics of Concurrent Computation, Evian, France, July 1979 Springer-Verlag LNCS, Vol. 70, pp1–20.Google Scholar
- [Pr67]A.Prior Past, Present and Future Oxford University Press, 1967.Google Scholar
- [SCFG82]A.P.Sistla, E.M.Clarke, N.Francez and Y.Gurevich Can Buffers be Specified in Linear Temporal Logic? Proc. 1st ACM SIGACT/SIGOPS Conf. on PODC, Ottawa, Aug. 1982.Google Scholar