A simple characterization of database serializability
An interleaved execution of transactions in a database system is serializable if the effect of the execution is equivalent to that of some serial execution of the transactions. We give a simple and intuitive characterization of serializability that brings out the inherent problem of serialization explicitly. We also give another characterization which extends naturally to multiversion serializability.
The class WRW is the largest known subclass of serializable executions having polynomial membership test. We give a new characterization for this class that relates this class with the general class of serializable executions in a natural way.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BSW]Bernstein, P.A., Shipman, D.W., and Wong, W.S., Formal Aspects of Serializability in Database Concurrency Control, IEEE Trans. Software Eng. SE-5, 3(May 1979), 203–215.Google Scholar
- [B]Brzozowski, J.A., On Models of Transactions, Technical Report #84001, Department of Applied Mathematics and Physics, Kyoto University, Japan, April 1984.Google Scholar
- [EGLT]Eswaran, K.P., Gray, J.N., Lorie, R.A. and Traiger, I.L., The Notions of Consistency and Predicate Locks in a Database System, CACM 19, 11(Nov. 1976), 624–633.Google Scholar
- [EN]Ekanadham, K. and Nigam, A., On Serializability, Report RC 9257, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, Dec. 1981.Google Scholar
- [IK]Ibaraki, T. and Kameda, T., Multi-Version vs. Single-Version Serializability, Tech. Report LCCR TR83-1, Department of CS, Simon Fraser Univ., Dec. 1983.Google Scholar
- [IKM1]Ibaraki, T., Kameda, T., and Minoura, T., Serializability Made Simple, Tech. Report LCCR TR82-12, Department of CS, Simon Fraser Univ., Dec. 1982.Google Scholar
- [IKM2]Ibaraki, T., Kameda, T., and Minoura, T., Disjoint-Interval Topological Sort: A Useful Concept in Serializability Theory, Proc. 9th Int. Conf. on VLDB, Oct/Nov. 1983, 89–91.Google Scholar
- [S]Sethi, R., A Model of Concurrent Database Transactions, Proc. 22nd IEEE Symp. Foundation of Comp. Sci., Oct. 1981, 175–184.Google Scholar
- [SLR]Stearns, R.E., Lewis, P.M. II, and Rosenkrantz, D.J., Concurrency Control for Database Systems, Proc. 17th IEEE Symp. Foundation of Computer Sci., Oct. 1976, 19–32.Google Scholar
- [V]Vidyasankar, K., Generalized Theory of Serializability, Technical Report #8510, Department of Computer Science, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada, May 1985.Google Scholar
- [VY]Vidyasankar, K., and Younger, D.H., A Minimax Equality Related to the Longest Directed Path in an Acyclic Graph., Can. J. Math., 27, 2(1975), 348–351.Google Scholar