The implication problem for functional and multivalued dependencies : An algebraic approach
Computation of the dependency basis is the fundamental step in solving the implication problem for MVDs in relational database theory. We examine this problem from an algebraic perspective. We introduce the notion of the inference basis of a set M of MVDs and show that it contains the maximum information about the logical consequences of M. We propose the notion of an MVD-lattice and develop an algebraic characterization of the inference basis using simple notions from lattice theory. We also establish several properties of MVD-lattices related to the implication problem. Founded on our characterization, we synthesize efficient algorithms for (a) computing the inference basis of a given set M of MVDs; (b) computing the dependency basis of a given attribute set w.r.t. M; and (c) solving the implication problem for MVDs. Finally, we show that our results naturally extend to incorporate FDs also in a way that enables the solution of the implication problem for both FDs and MVDs put together.
KeywordsRelational Database Lattice Theory Canonical Representation Scheme Lattice Dency Basis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W.W. Armstrong, "Dependency structures of database relationships", Proc. IFIP 74, North Holland, Amsterdam, 1974, pp.580–583.Google Scholar
- 3.C. Beeri, R. Fagin, and J.H. Howard, "A complete axiomatization for functional and multivalued dependencies in database relations", Proc. ACM SIGMOD Int.Conf. on Management of Data, Toronto, Aug.1977, pp.47–61.Google Scholar
- 4.C. Beeri and M.Y. Vardi, "On the properties of join dependencies", in: Advances in Database Theory Vol.I (H. Gallaire, J. Minker, and J. Nicolas, Eds.), Plenum Press, NY, 1981, pp.25–71.Google Scholar
- 5.G. Birkhoff, Lattice Theory, 3rd ed., Providence, RI: American, Mathematical Society Colloquium Publ. XXV, 1967.Google Scholar
- 7.E.F. Codd, "A relational model of data for large shared data banks", CACM 13, 6(June 1970), 377–387.Google Scholar
- 8.—, "Further normalization of the database relational model", in: Data Base Systems (R. Rustin Ed.), Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, pp.33–64.Google Scholar
- 13.W. Kent, "A guide to the five normal forms in relational database theory", CACM 1983.Google Scholar
- 14.V.S. Lakshmann and C.E. Veni Madhavan, "An algebraic theory of functional and multivalued dependencies in relational databases", under preparation.Google Scholar
- 15.T.T. Lee, "An algebraic theory of relational databases", The Bell Syst. Tech. Jl.62, 10 (Dec.1983), 3159–3204.Google Scholar
- 18.K.K. Nambiar, "A study of saturated sets and functional dependencies in relational databases using linear graphs", Proc. 1st Conf. FST and TCS, Bangalore, India, Dec.1981, pp.99–108.Google Scholar
- 21.J.D. Ullman, Principles of Database Systems, Computer Science Press, Potmac, Maryland 1983.Google Scholar
- 23.C. Zaniolo, "Analysis and design of relational schemata for database systems", Tech.Rep.UCLA_ENG_7769, Dept. of Comp.Sci., UCLA, July 1976.Google Scholar