The turbulent Couette flow from asymptotic theory viewpoint
The turbulent Couette flow is considered from the point of view of the asymptotic theory for turbulent shear flows at large Reynolds numbers. According to this theory the flow has a two-layer structure which can be treated by the method of matched asymptotic expansions. Without specifying a turbulence model the analysis leads to boundary conditions which have to be satisfied by the solution and hence by any turlence modelling. It is shown that some of the existing turbulence models do not satisfy these conditions. A new turbulence model is proposed which leads to analytical solutions.
KeywordsWall Shear Stress Turbulent Kinetic Energy Asymptotic Theory Couette Flow Turbulent Shear
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Van Dyke, M., Higher-Order Boundary-Layer Theory, Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 1, pp. 265–292, 1969.Google Scholar
- 2.Gersten, K. Advanced Boundary-Layer Theory in Heat Transfer, in Proc. 7th Intern. Heat Transfer Conference, München, Vol. 1, pp. 159–179, 1982.Google Scholar
- 3.Afzal, N., and Yajnik, K., Analysis of Turbulent Pipe and Channel Flows at Moderately Large Reynolds Numbers, J. Fluid Mech., Vol. 61, pp. 23–31, 1973.Google Scholar
- 4.Lund, K.O., Bush, W.B., Asymptotic Analysis of Plane Turbulent Couette-Poiseuille Flows, J. Fluid Mech., Vol. 96, pp. 81–104, 1980.Google Scholar
- 5.Henry, F. S., and Reynolds., A. J., Analytical Solution of Two Gradient-Diffusion Models Applied to Turbulent Couette Flow, J. Fluid Engng., Vol. 106, pp. 211–216, 1984.Google Scholar
- 6.Launder, B.E., and Spalding, D.B., Lectures in Mathematical Models of Turbulence, Academic Press, London, 1972.Google Scholar
- 7.Hanjalic, K., and Launder, B.E., A Reynolds Stress Model of Turbulence and its Application to Thin Shear Flows, J. Fluid Mech., Vol. 52, pp. 609–638, 1972.Google Scholar
- 8.El Telbany, M.M.M., and Reynolds, A.J., The Structure of Turbulent Plane Couette Flow, J. of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 104, pp. 367–372, 1982.Google Scholar
- 9.Townsend, A.A., The Structure of Turbulent Shear Flow, Cambridge University Press, 1976.Google Scholar
- 10.Schlichting, H., Boundary Layer Theory, Verlag G. Braun, Karlsruhe, 1979.Google Scholar
- 11.Rotta, J.C., Recent Attempts to Develop a Generally Applicable Calculation Method for Turbulent Shear Flow Layers, AGARD-CP-93, pp. A-1 to A-11, 1971.Google Scholar
- 12.Laufer, J., The Structure of Turbulence in Fully Developed Pipe Flow, NACA Rep. 1174, 1954.Google Scholar