Factorization of polynomials by transcendental evaluation
A new polynomial-time algorithm for the factorization of polynomials in two variables with rational coefficients is presented. The algorithm works by replacing one of the variables by an approximation of a transcendental number. It generalizes recent results by Kannan, Lenstra, Lovász [KLL] and Schőnhage [Sch2]. Asymptotically the algorithm improves on the running times of previously published methods.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- CG.A.L. Chistov, D.Yu. Grigoryev, Polynomial-time factoring of the multivariable polynomials over a global field, Lomi, preprint E-5-82, Leningrad 1982.Google Scholar
- Cij.P.L. Cijsouw, Transcendence measures, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Amsterdam, 1972.Google Scholar
- Gel.A.O. Gel'fond, Transcendental and algebraic numbers, Dover Publ., New York 1960.Google Scholar
- GG.A.J. Goldstein, R.L. Graham, A Hadamard-type bound on the coefficients of a determinant of polynomials, SIAM Rev. 16 (1974), 394–395.Google Scholar
- Kal.E. Kaltofen, On the complexity of factoring polynomials with integer coefficients, Ph.D. Thesis, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1982.Google Scholar
- KLL.R. Kannan, A.K. Lenstra, L. Lovász, Polynomial factorization and nonrandomness of bits of algebraic and some transcendental numbers, Proceedings 16th STOC, 1984.Google Scholar
- Len.A.K. Lenstra, Polynomial-time algorithms for the factorization of polynomials, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Amsterdam, 1984.Google Scholar
- Mah.K. Mahler, On some inequalities for polynomials in several variables, J. London Math. Soc. 37 (1962), 341–344.Google Scholar
- Ost.A.M. Ostrowski, Solution of equations and systems of equations, Academic Press, New York 1966.Google Scholar
- Sch1.A. Schőnhage, The fundamental theorem of algebra in terms of computational complexity, Preliminary report, Math. Inst. Univ. Tűbingen, 1982.Google Scholar
- Sch2.A. Schőnhage, Factorization of univariate integer polynomials by diophantine approximation and an improved basis reduction algorithm, 11th Colloquium on automata, languages and programming, Lecture notes in computer science 172, Springer Verlag, Berlin, 1984, 436–447.Google Scholar
- vzG.J. Von Zur Gathen, Hensel and Newton methods in valuation rings, Math. Comp. 42, (1984), 637–661.Google Scholar