MACSYMA: Capabilities and applications to problems in engineering and the sciences
MACSYMA™ is a large, interactive computer system designed to assist engineers, scientists, and mathematicians in solving mathematical problems. A user supplies symbolic inputs and MACSYMA yields symbolic, numeric or graphic results. This talk provides an introduction to MACSYMA and provides the motivation for using the system. Many examples are given of MACSYMA's capabilities with actual computer input and output. Also presented are several applications where MACSYMA has been employed to deal with problems in engineering and the sciences.
KeywordsComputer Algebra System Physical Review Letter Ordinary Differential Equation System Underwater Shock Wave Indefinite Integration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Kil]Kilmister, C. W., and Newman, D. J. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc. 57 (1961) 851.Google Scholar
- [MA1]The MACSYMA Reference Manual, (Version 10), Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Symbolics, December (1984).Google Scholar
- [Mo1]Moses, J. "MACSYMA — the fifth year". In Proceedings Eurosam 74 Conference, Stockholm, August (1974).Google Scholar
- [MUC1]Proceedings of the 1977 MACSYMA Users' Conference, (R. J. Fateman, Ed.), University of California, Berkeley, CA, July 27–29, NASA CP-2012, Washington, D.C. (1977).Google Scholar
- [MUC2]Proceedings of the 1979 MACSYMA Users' Conference, (V. E. Lewis, Ed.), Washington, D.C. June 20–22, (1979).Google Scholar
- [MUC3]Proceedings of the 1984 MACSYMA Users' Conference, (V. E. Golden, Ed.), General Electric Corporate Research and Development, Schenectady, NY, July 23–25, (1984).Google Scholar
- [Pa5]Pavelle, R., Rothstein, M. and Fitch, J. P. "Computer Algebra," Scientific American 245 (December 1981).Google Scholar
- [va1]van Hulzen, J. A. and Calmet, J. "Computer Algebra Systems" in Buchberger, B. Collins, G. E. and Loos, R. Computer Algebra, Symbolic and Algebraic Manipulation Springer-Verlag, Wien, New York (1983) 220.Google Scholar
- [Wa1]Wang, P. S. Math. Comp. 32 (1978) 1215.Google Scholar
- [Yu1]Yun, D. Y. Y. and Stoutemyer, D. "Symbolic Mathematical Computation" in Belzer, J., Holzman, A. G. (Eds.). Encyclopedia of Computer Science and Technology 15 Marcel Dekker, New York-Basel (1980) 235.Google Scholar