Fairness in term rewriting systems
The notion of fair derivation in a term-rewriting system is introduced, whereby every rewrite rule enabled infinitely often along a derivation is infinitely-often applied. A term-rewriting system is fairly-terminating iff all its fair derivations are finite. The paper presents the following question: is it decidable, for an arbitrary ground term rewriting system, whether it fairly terminates or not? A positive answer is given for several subcases. The general case remains open.
KeywordsFunction Symbol Fair Termination Ground Term Rewrite Rule Global Finiteness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [DE 81]N. Dershowitz: "Termination of linear rewriting systems", proc. 8th ICALP symp. Acre, Israel, July 1981. In: LNCS 115 (O.Kariv, S.Even — eds.), Springer 1981.Google Scholar
- [DT 84]N. Dauchet, S. Tison: "Decidability of confluence for ground term rewriting systems", (undated manuscript), Lille university.Google Scholar
- [F 85]N. Francez: "Fairness", to appear in Texts and monographs in comp. sci., Springer Verlag, 1985.Google Scholar
- [GKM 83]J. Guttag, D. Kapur, D. R. Musser: "On proving uniform termination and restricted termination of rewriting systems", SIAM J. of Computing, 12, 1, 1983.Google Scholar
- [HA 84]D. Harel: "A general result about infinite trees and its applications", proc. 16th ACM-STOC, Washington D.C, May 1984.Google Scholar
- [HL 78]G. Huet, D. S. Lankford: "On the uniform halting problem for term rewriting systems", TR 283, INRIA 1978.Google Scholar
- [LPS 81]D. Lehmann, A. Pnueli, J. Stavi: "Impartiality, justice and fairness: the ethics of concurrent termination", proc. 8th ICALP symp. Acre, Israel, July 1981. In: LNCS 115 (O. Kariv, S. Even — eds.), Springer 1981.Google Scholar
- [PF 84]S. Porat, N. Francez: "Fairness in context-free grammars under canonical derivations" proc. STACS, Saarbrucken, January 1985. (Also: TR 340, comp. sci. dept., Technion, 1984).Google Scholar
- [PFMZ 82]S. Porat, N. Francez, S. Moran, S. Zaks: "Fair derivation in context-free grammars", Information and Control 55, 1982.Google Scholar