Data flow graph optimization in if1
Optimization techniques are as important when compiling data flow languages as when compiling conventional languages. This paper describes work that has been done on optimizers for SISAL programs that have been translated into IF1 data flow graphs. It shows that conventional optimization algorithms can be easily and efficiently implemented for data flow graphs, and that the payoff for even simple optimizations can be significant.
KeywordsOutput Port Input Port Node Count Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Data Flow Graph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Ack79]Ackerman, W.B. and J.B. Dennis, "VAL-A value-oriented algorithmic language: Preliminary Reference Manual", Tech. Report TR-218, Computation Structures Group, Laboratory for Computer Science, MIT, Cambridge, MA, June 1979.Google Scholar
- [Aho77]Aho, A.V. and J.D. Ullman, Principles of Compiler Design, Addison-Wesley, 1977.Google Scholar
- [Arv78]Arvind, K.P. Gostelow, and W. Plouffe, "An Asynchronous Programming Language and Computing Machine", Tech. Report TR114a, Department of Information and Computer Science, University of California, Irvine, December 1978.Google Scholar
- [Bar79]Barrett, W.A. and J.D. Couch, Compiler Construction: Theory and Practice, Science Research Associates, 1979.Google Scholar
- [McG82]McGraw, J.R., S.K. Skedzielewski, "Streams and Iteration in VAL: Additions to a Data Flow Language", Proc. of the Third International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, pp. 730–739, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, March 1982, IEEE order number CH-18028.Google Scholar
- [McG83]McGraw, J.R., S. Skedzielewski, S. Allan, R. Oldehoeft, J. Glauert, C. Kirkham, W. Noyce, and R. Thomas, "SISAL: Streams and Iteration in a Single-Assignment Language", Language Reference Manual, Version 1.2, M-146, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA, March 1985.Google Scholar
- [Ske85]Skedzielewski, S.K., and J.R.W. Glauert, "IF1, an Intermediate Form for Applicative Languages", Reference Manual, M-170, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA, July 1985.Google Scholar