Proving termination of Prolog programs
The paper presented two kinds of proof rules to prove B-termination, the kind of termination obtained by the combination of backtracking and recursion as displayed by Prolog. The first kind of rule takes into account the context of the whole program and is based on a tree oriented operational semantics. The second kind is more compositional, dealing with separate procedures in a context independent way. It is based on a stream oriented semantics.
We would like to stress that such proof rules may be successfully used for defining other search strategies than the actual one used by prolog. An interesting question is to define in this way a probabilistic backtracking search strategy.
KeywordsInitial Goal Output Stream Current Goal Proof Rule Prolog Program
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AvE 82]K.R. Apt, M.H. Van Emden: "Contributions to the theory of logic programming", JACM 29, 3 (July 1982).Google Scholar
- [CM 81]W.F. Clockskin, C.S.Mellish: "Programming in Prolog", Springer (1981).Google Scholar
- [vEK 76]M.H. Van Emden, R.A. Kowalski: "The semantics of predicate logic as a programming language", JACM 23,4 (1976).Google Scholar
- [FL 67]R.M.Floyd: "Assigning meanings to programs", proc AMS symp. in app. math. 19 Providence, R.I (1967)Google Scholar
- [FKP 77]N.Francez, B.Klebanski, A.Pnueli: "Backtracking in recursive computations", Acta Informatica 8 (1977).Google Scholar
- [GFMR 81]O.Grumberg, N.Francez, J.A.Makovsky, W.P.de Roever: "A proof rule for fair termination of guarded commands", proc. int. symp. on Algorithmic Languages, Amsterdam (1981).Google Scholar
- [JM 83]N.D. Jones, A.Mycroft: "Stepwise developement of operational and denotational semantics of Prolog", TR. Univ. of Copenhagen, 1983.Google Scholar
- [KO 74]R.A.Kowalski: "Predicate logic as a programming language", in: Info. Proc. 74 (J.Rosenfeld,ed.), North-Holland (1974).Google Scholar
- [LPS 81]D.Lehmann, A.Pnueli, J.Stavi: "Impartiality, justice and fairness: the ethics of concurrent termination", proc. 8th ICALP, ACRE, (1981); LNCS 115 (S.Even, O.Kariv-eds.), Springer 1981.Google Scholar
- [NGC]New Generation Computing, Springer; (the existence of a journal devoted to the subject is taken as evidence for interest in that subject).Google Scholar