A partial correctness logic for procedures
Formal proofs of programs can be written in the style of stepwise refinement.
Procedures on parameter position can be handled adequately, so that some sophisticated programs can be verified, which are beyond the power of other calculi.
The logic as well as the calculus are similar to Reynolds' specification logic. But there are also some (essential) differences which will be pointed out in this paper.
KeywordsProof System Parameter Position Partial Correctness Output Address Abstract Program
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Cla 79]Clarke, E.M.: Programming language constructs for wich it is impossible to obtain good Hoare-like axioms. JACM 26, 129–147, 1979Google Scholar
- [CGH 83]Clarke, E.M., German, S.M. and Halpern, J.Y.: Reasoning about procedures as parameters. Proc. of the CMU Workshop on Logics of Programs, LNCS 164, 206–220, 1983Google Scholar
- [Coo 78]Cook, S.A.: Soundness and completeness of an axiom system for program verification. SIAM Journ. on Comp. 7, 70–90, 1978Google Scholar
- [dBa 80]de Bakker, J.W.: Mathematical theory of program correctness. Prentice-Hall, 1980Google Scholar
- [DaJ 83]Damm, W. and Josko, B.: A sound and relatively* complete Hoare-logic for a language with higher type procedures. Acta Informatica 20, 59–102, 1983Google Scholar
- [GTW 277]Goguen, J.A., Thatcher, J.W., Wagner, E.G. and Wright, J.B.: Initial algebra semantics and continuous algebras. JACM 24, 68–95, 1977Google Scholar
- [Hal 83]Halpern, J.Y.: A good Hoare axiom system for an ALGOL-like language. Poc. 11th POPL Conf., 262–271, 1983Google Scholar
- [Har 79]Harel, D.: First order dynamic logic, LNCS 68, Springer-Verlag, 1979Google Scholar
- [HMT 83]Halpern, J.Y., Meyer, A.R. and Trakhtenbrot, B.A.: The semantics of local storage, or what makes the free-list free? Proc. 11th POPL Conf., 245–257, 1983Google Scholar
- [Lan 83]Langmaack, H.: Aspects of programs with finite modes. Proc. of the FCT-Conference, LNCS 158, 241–254, 1983Google Scholar
- [Man 74]Manna, Z.: Mathematical theory of computation. McGraw-Hill, 1974Google Scholar
- [Old 81]Olderog, E.R.: Sound and complete Hoare-like calculi based on copy rules. Acta Informatica 16, 161–197, 1981Google Scholar
- [Old 83]Olderog, E.R.: A characterization of Hoare's logic for programs with PASCAL-like procedures. Proc. 15th ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, 320–329, 1983Google Scholar
- [Old 84]Olderog, E.R.: Correctness of programs with PASCAL-like procedures without global variables. TCS 30, 49–90, 1984Google Scholar
- [Rey 81]Reynolds, J.C.: The craft of programming. Prentice-Hall International Series in Comp. Sc. 1981Google Scholar
- [Rey 82]Reynolds, J.C.: Idealized ALGOL. Tools and notions for program construction. D. Néel ed., Cambridge University Press, 121–161, 1982Google Scholar
- [Sie 81]Sieber, K.: A new Hoare-calculus for programs with recursive parameterless procedures. Bericht A 81/02, Universität Saarbrücken, 1981Google Scholar